29 gallon reef project (Pics included)

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Has anyone ever modified the AquaC Remora to be more quiet? I actually wouldn't think that the noise is bad, but I have the tank in my bedroom, so I would like to silence it a bit. It seems that if I could put a gasket between the collection cup and the actual unit, it would quiet it a bit. Any thoughts?

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
mine just came in on monday and after being on for about 12 hours, foamed started to produce. it is a little noisy but nothing that i cant tolerate. i would be concerned that trying to quiet it down would result in reduced efficient skimming.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The o ring is how you adjust the height of the skimmer cup and is an essential part of the skimmer. I also have one on my 29g tank right beside my head in my bedroom. It is a kind of power barometer.....it makes noise but nothing that keeps me awake, I am more likely to be awakened by lack of noise coming from the tank than by any noise in the tank......other than the sound of splashing water which is guaranteed to levitate me from a sound sleep and is usually caused by a turbo snail cleaning the skimmer lip back into the tank.......

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
The lower you put the cup the more water will be in your skiminate. Some people like more some like less... You aren't actually skimming your tank any more by collecting more water. I'm not sure about the remora, but the bakpak had a sweet spot about 1/8th of an inch above the water level in the skimmer.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so basically mine has been skimming at its lowest depth it can since its just sitting on its own without any o-ring. I'm going to go to Home Depot and get an O-ring tomorrow. So I would assume to get one that fits snug around the collection cup but thin enough to fit snug into the unit.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
as Joe Fish noted, i think the height affects the 'wetness' of the skim and not necesarily its efficiency. the higher the foam column needs to go, the more moisture that will return to the bottom of the skimmer through gravity; thus leaving just 'dirty' skim.

please correct me if i am wrong.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
In part you are partially right. The optimum skimmate should be sort of dryish as the bubbles (foam) break they deposit their scum in the column of the collection cup. This scum deposit helps more bubbles break etc. Perfect tuning of the collection cup would have the foam bubbles just break the lip of the riser column and the dryish foam slide down into the cup. Any wetter and you will be needing to empty your cup every day with overflow going back down into the skimmer body only to be reskimmed. The optimum is to have fine bubbles that slowly climb up the riser column of the collection cup. Skimmate that collects should be tea coloured and quite stinky.

I am not sure you will find an o'ring large enough to fit around the collection cup at lowes you may have to contact or buy one from the following link

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer Replacement Parts EV Protein Skimmer Replacement Parts

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Actually thats exactly what mine is doing. I get about 1/8 of the collection cup of brownish smelly water every 3-4 days. The foam looks like the foam you would find at the top of a bubble bath, not wet but uniform and sticking together. I will check out the replacement parts place and order one. I'm assuming when I add fish and corals the level of the collection cup will need to be fine tuned a bit more than they are now.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I received my Jebo 300 watt heater, and it fit perfectly in the return area of the skimmer without effecting performance. Now I'm at a constant 80 degrees....

Thinking of getting a cleaning crew this weekend if my water allows it. I'm having it tested tomorrow.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so this weekend is it, finally no more than just pet rocks! HAHA

I will be adding something to the tank if my water is where it should be. I will take a sample into my LFS, have them test to guarantee, and then purchase some goodies. As of right now, I have 0 algae growing in the tank, so I'm not so sure that a clean-up crew will be needed until I add my fish. I remember when I had my Nano 12gallon, and the algae was overwhelming when it was cycling, but I also used regular tap water, so this could have something to do with it.

Any thoughts or am I just being paranoid and need to wait to get my water tested?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
get the water tested but in the long run you should get your own test kits......ph, alk, calcium and nitrates......and if feeling rich, phosphates and magnesium