29 gallon reef project (Pics included)

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so I purchased 30 Blue legs, 6 Turbo snails, 4 Super Tongan Nassarius Snail, and 2 peppermint shrimp. My water levels looked great across the map, except the nitrites, just a tad high for fish, so I will wait until next week to get fish and corals. Surprisingly my calcium levels were really perfect, and I haven't been adding anything. My LFS couldn't believe my levels were that high. Either way I purchased the 2 step alk and calcium additives, and also some iodine. Right now I'm having an outbreak of green algae, which my new cleaner crew is taking care of, but I think it is a bit much for them. So I'm going to leave the light out for a day or 2 and then clean the glass and do a partial water change. Should solve that issue.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Good advice, I'm a big fan of taking my time with Saltwater. I may go with 2-3 fish this weekend and then wait about a week for some corals and others....

Right now I'm trying to control my green algae haze I have going on. Its almost gone, I did a water change, and the MH light hasn't been on for 2 days. Snails and crabs dont mind that too much. I wont be buying anything until that goes away completely.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so I cleared the algae problem and my cleaner crew looks like they are helping with any other issues I may have.

I'm wondering whom has an aquarium without a lid on here? If so how often do you do top offs? My tank is literally losing about 2.5 gallons in less than a week. I know it is dry this time of year from the heat being on in the house, but that just seems like a lot to me. Anyone else know about how much they are losing?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Friday I received my Koralia #3 and installed it opposite my Koralia #1. It works perfect and I really like the flow pattern it makes.

Also my water was perfect this time around so I picked up a nice Green Bubble Coral and a good amount of polyps, red, brown, and some lighter colored brown. Pics are below....

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Haven't posted here in a longgggggggg time, but I decided to chime in. Looking good, I always liked polyps. What kind of camera and lens are you using? You made a mention of a 50mm earlier, seems for more closeup shots.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I'm using a Canon 30D with a 50mm f1.4 lens. I sold all of my gear and I'm getting ready to add some more lenses to my arsenal soon. Its tough to take a full shot of the tank with the 50mm, but it works well with the shots of just 1-2 items. Great lens for the price, and I recommend it to anybody needing to shoot in darker conditions. I use it primarily to shoot a local Rock band. Their gigs are low light and I dont like to use my Canon 430EX flash and ruin the stage lights, so the f1.4 of this lens comes in handy.....

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I added a penguin 150 Bio-wheel (minus the wheel part of course) filter to the tank, and the carbon is working great. Crystal clear water conditions....

Its been a while since I have added anything live to the tank, but I found this at the lfs and couldnt pass up the opportunity. The guy sold me the pair for a HUGE discount. I got the LTA for $45, and the TR Clown for $29.99. Yes I said Tank Raised! I was thrilled to find a tank raised clown hosting an Anemone so I had to purchase! So I'm a happy camper. The LTA is about 6" around, and the Clown is pretty small, but I'm sure that will change soon.