29 gallon reef project (Pics included)

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I'm just worried about the heat issues using MH. But I think considering its only a 150 watt MH, it wont get too hot with a cover on it. Guess there's only one way to find out. When I dump my rock, sand, and water this weekend, I will turn on the light and see what the temp rises to without a heater.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Yeah I originally had a POS CPR Bak Pack system, but Lorna on here told me to take it back and buy the AquaC Remora. I actually got the AquaC for $117.00 shipped from Ebay. It has the 1200 on it which is nice. I'm thinking I will need to buy another pump to help with circulation. I have the Koralia pump, which is great, but I think another smaller model on the other side would be a nice wave like effect for my future corals and inverts.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Awesome, congrats. From what I hear, they are the best hands down. Everyone praises them to the fullest. And the good thing is they are very versatile if you were to go bigger with your aquarium size eventually. 20-75 gallon rating, thats pretty good! Of course I'm one to over filter always, so I would probably go bigger if I was in the 55-60 range! Just me though.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so I just wanted to show a list of my plans for Friday and Saturday to get this aquarium up and rolling. If I'm missing anything, please add your 2 Cents in so I wont forget! Thanks

- Friday night -
15 gallons of ROI Saltwater
25-35lbs of Live Rock
30lbs of Live Sand
Sand Vacuum
Glass Scraper / Cleaner
Strip outlet
Timer for MH

- Saturday -
The remaining 15 Gallons of ROI Saltwater

The reason I have to split up the water is because the LFS I buy my ROI water from is only open until 7:00pm. I work till 5:00pm. I don't want to have more than three 5 gallon water containers in my place sitting around. Not to mention they are $13.00 each anyways! Saturday I have a morning meeting and plans later so I cant get it all done on Saturday, this is why I'm splitting it up. Plus I figure without the tank being 100% full I can see better to aqua-scape and play around with things. I figure in about 2 weeks I will go and get some Iodine, Calcium/PH buffer and my clean-up crew. Am I missing anything for now?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Sounds exciting! You should get an extra few gallons of saltwater to rinse off the live rock. It's a good idea to give it a dunk/light scrubbing to get off any dead or dying stuff before you put it in your tank.

You don't need to get live sand. Dry aragonite is fine. The live sand is really just an added expense and not really adding to diversity.

I'm assuming you have a refractometer/hydrometer and tests for ammonia, nitrates, calcium, alkalinity and pH.

Also, when you get the second batch of saltwater, get some RO water from the store. You'll need it for top offs during the week.

And, you probably don't need the iodine. :) Unless you have a lot of soft corals, it's really not necessary.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Thanks!

I actually meant dry aragonite, not sure why I added the "live" part to it! HAHA. But last time I did this, the LFS tested my waters and found that I was ready for corals. So I went ahead and bought a brain, Leather, and some polyps. Well the brain and leather quickly died off. So I took them back and they said I was really low on Iodine and gave me a bottle and 2 new corals. Everything went great from that point, so thats why I figured I would need the Iodine again. But obviously not now, later when I get my cleaner crew.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Looks good so far!

One old rule of thumb for when a tank is stable enough for corals is to wait until coraline spots on the glass are the size of dimes. I believe it's an indicator that your calcium/alkalinity and magnesium are stable.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Aqua remoras are virtually plug and play.....a bit of adjusting the collection cup and you are good to go.

If you do regular water changes on a tank that size the water changes should supply all the essential elements you will need. You really won't need to supplement unless you have a lot of stony corals or clams that have heave ca demands.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Yep, the AquaC was plug and play. Very easy to setup, adjust and let it start foaming.

I will be adding clams, so I was thinking I would add a calcium supplement. But I'm not adding them for a while. For now I'm adding the cleaning crew, in a few weeks or so, and then a few small fish. Probably will wait until 3 months from now to get a few clams.

I'm also going to add a few more small pieces of live rock, to make it taller on the right hand side. Nothing too big, but to bring some height to the whole arrangement.