65 Gallon Journal

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Here is a quick update on my tank. I decided to put in my existing fiji rock and I'm glad I did. I was planning on buying 50lbs more of rock for this tank, but I think i'll be good with another 20ish lbs. Plus 10 for my sump and pieces to frag on to. Then again, maybe I could use that extra rock.

Comments???

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I probably wouldn't even go with 20 more...unless you go for certain pieces. I like the amount in there now but maybe a bit higher. Less is more especially when your coral starts growing all over it.

Thats what i do, along with my frag discs and frag plugs i have small pieces of LR in one of my HOB filters that i can attach frags to.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've read that those intending to keep corals can go a little lower on the LR, because when you get colonies, you're adding to the LR anyway. I guess if you're only getting frags, that wouldn't apply.

I like to have some smaller pieces in my tank for mounting corals.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im not saying to add LR for filtration purposes but since your tank is so deep if u plan to keep any sps yur guna wanna be able to place them a little closer to the light ;)

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm only keeping it at that level for cycling purposes. I'm more of a frag kind of guy so gluing a rock here an there shouldn't be a problem. It will only be 44lbs in the display and 10 will go in the sump. I'm sure I'll get a nice coral rock here and there!

Due to a short week i'm only ordering the LR next Monday. I'll get more pics submitted then for comments. Can't wait to start the cycle.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I paid 184 for 44 lbs of fiji and 15 lbs of tonga rubble. Arrived at my house in 1 day and cost me 184 total. I found 2 corals so far, but I doubt they will survive. Also noticed a few critters, but I couldn't tell if they were still kicking or not.

I should have taken pics before putting it in, but I didn't want to waste any time.