90 Gallon Step by Step Setup Guide and Running Log

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
Is it possible to create a "t" or "y" with a ball valve attached below the sink? If that is possible than the RO unit will be always attached and no need to buy a new faucet which can be pricey.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I wont be buying a new faucet no matter what. Worst case scenario if I cant put it uner my sink is I use the hose adapter or hook it up to my shower head insert (when the shower head is removed its a 3/4in fmpt) and run it on there. I wont know until it arrives (hoping by next Tuesday but they sent an email saying shipping can take anywhere from 3-10 buisness days which I was unaware of...)

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
TOTALLY WICKED DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it coming. I just used work time reading through your entire post. Cant say i'm not jealous, because I am.

I don't have a SW tank yet but it is coming soon (as in when I have enough dolla bills which may not be for a while). This is great to see the proccess and learn some on the way to.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
thank you very much man I appreciate your post. Keep on reading around here and youll be well on your way to gaining the needed knowledge for when the time comes to start setting up your tank.

Also welcome to MFT :)

and Well see you in week 13 and we'll see who comes out victoriouse :D

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I got my mag 12 in the mail today (Was expecting tommorow) so I can finish the return and do a freshwater test run. So I wanted to post this so you can keep me in your thoughts and pray that 100+ gallosn isnt on my floor and I come back posting nothing but swear after swear in a rage..

I have given fair warning :D

I will be back after the test.

and I would also like to add that mag 12-24 are beefy alot heavier than I was expecting

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
fixed the leaky bulkhead but ran into some additional problems.

Before filling up the tank with RO/DI water (I may do another freshwater test run to try new setup) but I will have switch out the 1.5in open pipe and make it a durso and the 1 in be the open standpipe (Camaro you were exactly right and my ball valves were being annoying so I couldnt control it...)

So what I am going to so is put the 1/4 standpipe on the 1.5in bulkhead (use a reducer) and make the 1 inch a open standpipe and hopefully that will work.

On the bright side all my anti siphon breaks on my return lines work and the return lines seem solid. The only problem was the bulkhead but I took care of it.

A couple of friends came by while I was doing this test and I just left the water in it (after fixing the leaky bulkheaed of course) and went out with them for a little. Came back finished up and now am draining it out. Rooms a mess, stuff to fix, so I got alot to do prior to my RO/DI water going in!

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
2 years of middle school french, and 2 years of french in high school and I still had to translate that :rolleyes: ahah

all I need to get is a 1 1/2in reducer brushing to a 1/1/4 and Ill be set to try again. I dont think my RO/DI is going to be here until next week so I have plenty of time to make it perfect.

all in due time..

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I am doing one last fw testrun because I put the durso on the 1.5 bulkhead and the 1in is now a taller open standpipe.

Surprisingly my RO/DI unit came yesterday and I will start it up after the test run. I am not going to be installing it under my sink until I move (if we move) and will just use a hose adpater and hook it up into my shower (I dont use the shower in my room so it will be cool)

Im hopin to have RO/DI water in the tank tommorow (75 gpd) and have the water mixed with reef crystals and heated...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
25 hours, an overnight sleep while worrying about a hose disconnect or leak in my room, and 100 gallons later Im about 10-15 gallons short before I can turn the heaters on, add salt, pH buffer and be ready for live rock.

Im just glad I got the 75-100gpd unit instead of buying the kent 25 gpd unit..

If anyone is in the market for a RO or RO/DI unit the place I bought mine from is a spectacular company and highly reccomended.

If you need one I got mine (a 75-100gpd depending on water conditions for 130 shipped! great deals.)

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
well I got the water heated, 1.024-1.025 sg, 8.2 ph (tops out at 8.3), put in two seio 620s and 1 seio 1100 for a total tank turnover of around 37 (a bit much but just read the stickies :D)

Used istant ocean reef crystals and damn near used the enitre bucket (for 160 gallons)

I ordered 65 lbs of walt smith premium fiji live rock so that should arrive in two days or so after they ship out tommorow. THat plus the stuff in my nano (I think 20 or so lbs) for around 85 which is a good start.