building sump

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i guess im guna attempt a diy sump but before i get started i figured id ask a few questions ;) first off i dont have a table saw and i was wondering what some of my other options will be ??? also where did everyone else get ther plexiglass??? can u get it pre cut?? also im curious as to what design everyone used

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i use glass, cheaper than plexi and doesn't bow. Can get a 10x18 ,2 mm thick glass for like 2$ at a hardware store. They cut it for you. Also you should ask for at least one side to be sanded.

10g sump = 9 $
2x glass separators = 4$
boat silicon - 2.50 $

All CDN $ so less in the usa.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I would Check out Panther 28's Sump. He did a Great job. Most places will cut glass but it wont be perfect. If the Plexi is thin enough you can cut it with a razor knife. You will have to make more then one pass but it can be done. A Jig saw with a really fine tooth blade will work too. They are smaller then a table saw, and can be stored any where.

MAHA

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Mahamotorworks said:
A Jig saw with a really fine tooth blade will work too.

MAHA
how bout a skill saw??? ive cut plexiglass before by scoring it then breaking on the line will this work??? is 1/8" not thick enough???

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im thinking about going with this design off melevsreef exept im guna go a little smaller so it can actualy fit under my tank without modifying the stand i belive 20x10x10 should work nicely

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
trying to decide whether or not i want to attempt to cut the pexi myself or have it cut...... i called around today and didnt get very far.. i got some guy who offerd to build the whole thing for $100 but i was tryin to save a little $$$ .... i found that the 1/4 inch is alot more $$$ than the 1/8 inch ... $100 for a sheet of 1/4 inch but only $47 for 1/8 inch.... i can get simple cuts for free but i dought they cut it all

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
With the 1/8 Stuff you should be able to cut it your self. You will have to score it and take your time to get it just right. If you want to go with the 1/4 stuff and you can get some one to build it for cheaper then what you can buy materials for the let them do it. Then you have some one to yell at when it starts to leak.

MAHA

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I think that using a good straight edge and takeing the time to do it right you should be albe to get a good straight cut. I would get a Box cutter that takes the single edge razor blades would be the way to go. Get a box of 100 blades. Then you will always have a good sharpe knife to cut with. If you dont want to go that way then Finding some one that will cut it for you would be the best thing to do.

MAHA

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
That should work. I would buy a new blade for it. You need to make sure that it is a straight cut blade. Which mean that all the teeth of the blade are in a straight line. If they are off set by any amount it will not cut the Plex right. You will get chips in it. I would look to see if the have a blade for cutting Plexi when I buy one.

MAHA

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Ahh that makes sense...... I was thinking of making mine out of plexi glass but it seemed to flimsy..as it might bow out, I'm still wondering if it will work, let me know I might make my own as well.. considering my 33g doesn't fit under my stand GRRR..

or I might just rebuilt my stand...