building sump

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
about that plexiglass....dont get/use it...i was sawing it and it totally snapped on me...thats how bad it is.

iv been to 3 homedepot milpitas and fremont but both of them did not have acrylic or glass...so i tried cupertino's homedepot and dam they have everything lol Lexan/acrylic and many sizes of glass (too bad their all singles)

lol i hope they can cut it for me but its going to take a while...15 pieces lol

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i had them cut 10 pieces and they didnt seem to mind at all.... he asked if i want glass or acylic but all the acrylic they had seemed to thin so i went with glass and ended up slicing open my hand*laughingc

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol u need to be more careful and sand down thos edges../

i hope they dont use saws cuz i'll lose a lot of acrylic = smaller tank @.@

oh yeah u should add alot of glue...

my baffles has leaks but it didnt matter.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I believe I read somewhere in the midst of some DIY sump site last week that silicone does not adhere to dried silicone? That could be why you still had leaks after you re-siliconed on top of the old stuff..

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
eva said:
I believe I read somewhere in the midst of some DIY sump site last week that silicone does not adhere to dried silicone? That could be why you still had leaks after you re-siliconed on top of the old stuff..
speaking about that...did u remove the old silicone and clean the surface??? use that cleaning alcohol. works great for me.

btw wat silicone r u using?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
eva said:
speaking about that...did u remove the old silicone and clean the surface???
damit man *crazysmil no i didnt .... so does this mean i have to take it completly apart??? and start over ??? or just the area thats leaking???

btw wat silicone r u using?
im using all glass aqurium silicone

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
TRe said:
damit man *crazysmil no i didnt .... so does this mean i have to take it completly apart??? and start over ??? or just the area thats leaking???

im using all glass aqurium silicone
lol u dont really have much of a choice. just make sure u use a thick layer of glue this time.

btw that aquarium silicone has the worst smells ever...:eek:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
to make sure it doesnt leak again....yes u do.

cuz if u cut out the parts thats leaking and re-glue that part then u would just be overlapping the old glue on the sides.

i was using perfecto aquarium silicone and it smelled horrible.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
wow what a mistake that was.... almost enough to make me give up *crazysmil well not really but this sux ... ive got the sump apart but now there a ton of silicone on every single piece...ive got a razor blade and some rubbing alcohol ...is there any easier way?? ive already been messin with this thing for 45 mins and i only have 2 of the sides clean

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
lol i think the way you are doing is probably the best way! i'm sorry that you have to do all this tre but just think about how great the end product will be.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
alright got it all scraped off but i ran outta alcohol so itll have to wait till later tonite or tommorow to get finished ...looks like its back to lowes for the 100th time wish me luck

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
alright finally got the sump up and running today ... everything seems to be fine except the fact that i flooded my bedroom like 3 times already :eek: which bring me to my question .... ive read somewhere that if u drill a little hole in the return line it will break the syphon but im not quite sure as to where to drill the hole

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
you cant adjust the amount of water that flows down from the overflow? maybe if you put a ball valve on the line down to the sump you can adjust the flow rate from there to slow down the amount of water entering your sump so your return pump can keep up

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
YahooFishKeeper said:
yes, in the return drill a hole just below the surface of the water. then if the power goes out, it breaks the siphon.
dam if i only knew then....

haha Tre i told u to be careful. it suxs and i gave up after the first try...props on your several attempts!!! *thumbsup2 *thumbsup2 *thumbsup2
*celebrate

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
CoolWaters said:
dam if i only knew then....

haha Tre i told u to be careful.
lol yea i was kinda expectin a flood after the way you made it seem *crazysmil

now on to the lighting (btw i cant wait to put my 55 under the 125:p)