building sump

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
TRe said:
ok ive got this theory.... if i put the end of the tube under the water it wont allow any air in thus keeping the suction ?? sounds good in my head anyways :rolleyes: i did it a few hours ago and so far so good
u did connect the tube to the place where venturi hole goes right? putting the hose in the water isnt going to do any sucking for u :rolleyes:

just to make sure were on the same page...
right there right?

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well heres a few pics of the sump project so far.. some things will change this weekend *SUPERSMIL
Camera fixed yet...? just wondering if you have a picture of your plumbing
the one on the left is the return (3/4") and the one on the right is the overflow (1")

heres a few pics of the overflow in acton ;)

heres the overflow draining down to the sump (i still dont have the elbow piece yet)

heres a few of the return

and heres where i connected the priming tube to my powerhead

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
this weekend i plan on picking up the light the melv uses, adding a dsb, and adding the elbow piece to stop the flushing sound ...then all thats missing is some chaeto*crazysmil

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Lowes sells a very nice fuge light. I just got one a few weeks ago. It's a 23w PC bulb at 5000k. Then I got one of those spring loaded sockets and reflector. My cheato is growing out of control. They also have a lower wattage bulb that I had first, but it wasn't doing much. I think it was a 16watt or something. I also tried that same bulb melev uses. It worked for 24 hours and went out. I didn't want to wait for another to come in the mail so I went shopping.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Joe Fish said:
I also tried that same bulb melev uses. It worked for 24 hours and went out. I didn't want to wait for another to come in the mail so I went shopping.
were did you order it from??? i thought you can get it at hd?? and the one you got from lowes i was there yesterday but didnt kno wich light to get ..what brand did you get n everything?? n how much was it??? also i walked around both hd and lowes for ever and couldnt find that spring load socket your talkin about...you got a pic???

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
geez i just had to suck on the dam primming tube again and ive had it hooked up to the powerhead :eek: i mean its not completly losing suction but enough to make the water level in the display raise and the water level in the return section drop just enough to cause air to get sucked into the return .... *ALL*

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
not sure maybe theres a hole somewhere ...... i added my sand but only 2 inched not really a dsb just because the fuge is so shallow...and i also added the elbow piece to the overflow and not only did it help with the flushing sound but i was also getting water splashed up like every 3 seconds in the intake chamber wich has now stopped as well :p ..... one question i had was when i add a few snails to the fuge whats guna keep them from crawling out??? also ive caught my emerald crab vandelizing my corals several times the last week or 2 and today i finnaly caught him but i had no where to put him so i threw him in the fuge...will he be alright there once i add my chaeto???

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok its been a few days and i belive all my issues are resolved *SUPERSMIL this coming weekend ill be adding my light and chaeto i actually found a store locally that has that light for $12 *celebrate

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
as far as lighting would a 40w pc do well??? would it do better than melvs light???the reason i ask about the 40w pc is because thats what i have now over my 10 gallon and i kinda caved in to my girlfriend and agreed that when we move in 3 months i will only have 1 tank my plan is to go reef with my 125 g and use the 55 as a sump and possibly the lights from my 10 over the fuge if that makes any sense to you..... also if i was to make a sump out of my 55 gallon how big of a fuge can i light with my 40 w pc's??? just the 20 inches that the light will be over? that should be plenty right??

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
so what your saying is that u want to move the equipment from your 10g to your 125 reef and the 55g sump?

thats a great idea. u dont need light over your baffles/return/intake

just to cover your refuge section.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
CoolWaters said:
u dont need light over your baffles/return/intake

just to cover your refuge section.
*crazysmil i know that but in a 55 gallon sump thats would be 4 feet long i was wondering if the 20" light would only be good for 20" or can i make the fuge slightly bigger than the light?? is a 20" fuge too big for the light?? is it even a good idea???i plan to possibly put all the livestock from my 10 into the 55 untill i move in 3 months when everything from my 55 will go into my 125

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
its fine if your refuge is bigger then the light.

just dont be surprised if your chaeto does grow beyond the light.

u can put some base LR on the sides. it doesnt need light unless u want your sump to be colorful :)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
so nobody besides coolwaters has any opinion to whether or not i should shut down my 10 gallon and use the pc's from that tank??? i mean its guna happen one way or another when i move in 3 months only itll save me from spending $$$ on a light