building sump

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
TRe said:
yea but the baffles should keep the sump from bowing ;)

but wat keeps the baffles from bowing??? i seen some effects.

i have a 20" X 8" and 1/4" thick thats bowing...and thats just hood no pressure just gravity...

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
wheres my best bet for getting the plexi??? do they have it at home depot?? ive called every plastic place in the yellow pages every wants to sell me a 4x8 sheet

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i got my 28X24 at homedepot but its only 3/32" thick...you probably want atleast 1/8"

homedepot also has thos thick ones but only in large sheets like 48"X36"+
they run about $30-50 didnt really take a good look at them since i have no use for them yet. check out homedepot or osh.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok as you prolly already saw in the other thread i got glass instead of acrylic since it was cheap and conviniant....i mean they would have cut the plexi for free to but i think it came out to more $$ im getting ready to start putting it together and ill be sure to keep every one update with pics ;)

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok got every thing glued ill take some pics in a little bit.... but i was planning on using acrylic and making teeth at the top of the first baffel but since used glass what are some other options??? also up until now i havnt thought much about the pluming for the return*crazysmil any suggestions???

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
heres a pic its a pretty crappy pic with finger prints all over the glass lol but you get the idea..... ill get better pics tommorow once everything has dried ;)

edit:my camera broke yesterday :( this even crappier pic is with my cellphone lol

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Guysy1110 said:
cant wait to see it in action.
my neither lol..... total volume is just under 10 gallons more like 9 but i wasnt really looking for volume right now just wanted a fuge most of all when i move in june ill prolly go bigger and better ;) but about the return line ive been tryin to find a good site all day and even melvs reef isnt that clear on it... i think id like to spilt the line so theres two returns into the tank if possible

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
CoolWaters said:
looks very promising

did u leave enough room so if the power goes out it wont overflow?
well i plan on letting it sit for a few days before i fill it up since my overflow does get here till tommorow anyways but when i do fill it up i will definitly leave room incase a powere outage ;) on melvs reef he says just fill it up to where u want it then turn off the power on the return pump and see where yur levels end up ..if you can add more go ahead but make sure you make a mark at yur max fill level so when you top off you dont add too much

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok it been a few days and the sump is still sitting ill be fillin it up later on today to check for leaks i was at the lfs yesterday and the owner helped me alot on the return line i think ive got it covered but now im a little unsure about the fuge...is a barebottom or dsb better??? what are the advantages of both??? oh yea and ive been told to stay away from miracle mud

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you don't have a DSB in your main tank, I think it's a good idea to go for one in the fuge. I read that the DSB in the fuge should be 10% of the area of the substrate in the main tank for good denitration. The DSB also gives pods a place to live, so I think it would be a good idea. If you do go with a DSB, you should put some eggcrate or something at the bottom to stop the lowest portions from getting disturbed.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
filled it up today and it leaked a bit in two of the corners*crazysmil so i drained it and put an extra bead of silicone around the whole thing... ill wait till tommorow and then fill it back up with my fingers crossed....on another note i got my overflow box and i got the retun line all setup got the return pump just waitn for the silicone to dry again*BOUNCINGS

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
what is the point of having the bubble chambers i guess i thought a sump was just a tank that was added to another tank to put all your skimmers and stuff in? How do you keep the water input and the water output the same?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Flowerkid said:
what is the point of having the bubble chambers
to reduce bubbles *crazysmil

Flowerkid said:
i guess i thought a sump was just a tank that was added to another tank to put all your skimmers and stuff in?
well its that and also a place to house some macro ;)

Flowerkid said:
How do you keep the water input and the water output the same?
the overflow does just that it overflows as the return pumps water back into the main tank..... it can only overflow as fast as the water is pumpem back into the tank

CoolWaters said:
where did u get your overflow box??
:eek: i got it from aquatraders ..it was only $29.99 i figured it was worth a shot im mean whats the worst that can happen ??*crazysmil

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok jus an update i filled it back up the other day and it leaked again :eek: so i i resiliconed it yet again this time i really globed it on there lol so it doesnt look as good but im confident it wont leak this time....also it said on the package bonds in 24 hrs and wait 48 to fill it up well i didnt wait 48 hrs the last 2 times i tried but by tonite it should be 24 hrs so ill fill it up when i get home from wurk ;)