Casper's babies update

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Might be a good time to increase the tank size. I hear at 6 weeks you can add more water and/or move the fry to a larger 'grow-out' tank. A 5gal size is pretty restrictive. Can you add water to the other side, warm it up and remove the divider to allow them more space for a few more weeks.

That might buy you some more time before you have to jar the aggresive ones.

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
The babies are 8 weeks now!
Unlike Iggy's fry, they grow slowly slowly.
The biggest one is ~ 1.5 cm now, and the next size is ~ 1.3 cm.
I'm starting to see their ventrals!! :)
They are starting to "fight". Sometimes you can see they seem like "flaring" at each other, and then chase around. LOL

Too bad they all look like their parents - white in color - so I have no idea whether they're showing colors or not :)

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
You may try to stand at a distant, use macro, then zoom it.
Usually they'll appear very small on my camera, but I just zoom and then crop it from the original picture.
Didn't use flash, as their bodies reflect the light.
I also used a timer; to avoid pressing the shutter.

Just need to keep trying...
The good thing with a dig cam is that you can always delete the out focus ones.

It's harder for me to take pictures of them now, as i said, they start "fighting", and they have been always running around quickly... :)

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
They're 9+ week old now.

The fry are 9+ weeks old now. (14 fry left now)
Still growing quite slowly.
The biggest one is almost 2cm long now. One of them is showing some red color in the fin!! (Pictures coming)
I have no idea where the red color came from, since both the parents are white :confused:

Does anyone know when I can see what kind of tail does the fry has? The mother is a double tail, but as far as i can see now, none of them seem to be a DT?? Or are they still too small to tell?

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
He says "mama" the first time!!!

Well, i actually meant he *flares* the first time!
I was staring at them one night, and I saw one of Capser's boy was flaring at another boy or girl! :) :) :)
They weren't attacking one another though! He's just soooooooooooooo cute!! :)

Can't explain the excitment --- I just think it may be just like a baby first speaks! :)

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
thanks! :)
DizBjOhN, I'm not sure if i'm going to sell them yet - I may try to keep as many of the girls as possible in my 55g if they don't fight.
As for the boys - I actually can't tell how many of them are boys. I'm hoping to give 1 to my bf, and may be 1 to another friend for her birthday (in Jan)... And if my mom doesn't scream at me, I may just jar the rest all and have them in my room! LOL

Once they're big enough, I'm going to breed the one of the boy with the mom -- yah yah... I know this is morally not right -- but they are fish not human :) LOL. Hopefully in the next batch I'll get some DT :)