Casper's babies update

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
By the way, I've been giving them crushed flakes / tiny bettabits / little pieces of freezed dried blood worms / small frozen brine shrimp / small amount of microworms.
These spoiled kids don't really like anything except the frozen brine shrimp. They just take a bite at the other, and then spit them out. That's why I still give them a small amount of microworms so they won't staved. i think I'm the one to be blamed! I really shouldn't give them anymore live food so they'll eat the flakes / bettabits probably!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Sera Mikropan is a good food for betta fry 3+ weeks old. It's what I am using right now exclusively on my fry and 98% of the fry are eating it fine.

The other 2% are slowly starving to death, but I have hundreds of fry, and I am not about to cater to 4 or 5 fry that cannot adapt to new foods because when I sell them you better bet the new owners will not follow my perscribed diet when they run out of the food I provide them!

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
Now that's my problem! i only have 14 of them left and I can't afford to lose any one of them :)
I probably should start separating the stronger / bigger ones to another tank like you did, and start trainning the bigger ones with dry food; while continue to spoil the smaller ones! LOL.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
That sounds like a good idea (seperating the runts from the big ones).

I do feel bad about letting the small ones die off that way (so far about 6 have died), but I don't have the tank space to seperate them, but if I had only 14 fry, you bet I would!

Geeze, 14, you could use a 10 gallon as a grow-out tank! I need another 50+ gallons if I keep my current quantity just for my females, assuming 1/2 of my fry end up being female. (Hopefully on my Christmas list!!)

If your ever near Edmonton, send me a PM and you can drop by and see them!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
Their coloration could be a sign of the red loss gene. The babies will look like cambodians, and then in a few months lose the red and turn white. Also, is casper white or cellophane? In your avatar, he looks like a cello (there is so much controversy between opaques/pastels/cellos when it comes time to tell them apart) and could be from a marble spawn. If thats the case, they could carry red marble.

Alexa