Fry Tank Decorations

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I was wondering what types of decorations I can make for my fry tank. I currently have 5 Aponogeton Bulbs for it and I was thinking about cutting a plastic bottle into 2, filing the edges (don't want to hurt my babies!), and putting one on both sides (have it separated with a divider for genders) for the fry to swim through. Any other ideas would be great! ;)

Feb 27, 2009
I agree to not use a plastic bottle. They degrade in water long-term and leech toxins into the water over time. The more 'recycle-able' it is, the quicker it will break down, and the more acidic your water is (pH lower than 7), the quicker it will break down.

Terra cota, as long as its not painted, is a great fry-hang out. My fry tanks have potted plants (in terra cota) and they hang out inside the rim of the pot, behind, and between them. The rough surface can provide a growth surface for the beneficial bacteria and algae, which is a good food for most fry too. I leave a few overturned empty pots for them to swim in too.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
You can find them just about anywhere! Try a plant nursery, craft store, or home improvement store (home depot, lowes, ect.) They are really cheap, the smaller ones usually are like 50 cents or less apiece, and larger ones don't go much over a few dollars.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Oh yay! Thank you! How do you clean them though? I found out that I have 4-5 small ones that I used to plant Morning Glories in. They've been transfered to a huge bin and bloomed every day till the first frost. By the way, do Morning Glories come back?

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Clay terra cotta pots are porous. If you kept house plants in one for a while the minerals, fertilizer, pesticides and any other thing that will readily dissolve in water is likely to remain as a residue in the pot wall as the water evaporated from the outer surface. I have used ones that previously held potted plants with no problems.
This may work to clean them. Wash and mechanically scrub as much dirt and buildup from the surface as possible. Soak them in a solution of vinegar and water for a day or two. (This should dissolve any mineral deposits left behind from the water/soil itself.) Then rinse them and let them soak in a bucket of water. I've never boiled them but it probably would not hurt. (I would put them in cold water and bring them up to temp.)
Broken pieces often work better than intact pots. If you get new ones, I would rinse them thoroughly at the very least.
I make a salt paste to disinfect tanks, (from non- iodine salt) this could also be applied the ornaments and left until it dries out. (This desiccates most things.)
The best that I can recall, I scrubbed some used pots then rinsed them well and used them right away without a problem. It has been a few years. People will give you broken pots. Perhaps a store might have some cracked ones for free or cheap.
I am not sure on the question about morning glories, but I think they do come back. There was a patch along a road where I used to drive to work that bloomed each fall without any care o

Feb 27, 2009
As cheap as terra cotta pots are, I would not use one in a fish tank that had any type of chemical used on it in the past (fertlizers, insecticides, etc). Just make sure to file any rough edges so no fish will get scraped (the holes are usually roughly cut and have sharp edges).

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Yes, terra cotta pots were cheap and likely still are. The fact that I got away with used ones in the past does not remove the risk. (I used only potting soil in some pots with my first wife.) I eventually found a store that made me a deal on some badly cracked new pots and used them. Sticking materials in a tank that have uncertain qualities is risky. Sometimes it will work out well. For example, I would not be the first to put driftwood in a tank, but others have tried it and can present guidelines for doing it with lowered risk. I imagine there were many failures along the way.
Now days I have fewer problems with my tank setups. One reason is being more careful about what materials go into a tank. Not keeping fish that are not compatible with the local water supply or fish that get too big for my available tanks are two more examples of working within comfortable parameters.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I like to break holes in mine with hammer. I lay it on the carpet and gently tap till i get a hole, sometimes I turn them upside down and do like little huts or what have you. You can also use a drill. Just be sure to file the rough edges.

Wall-mart carries the smallest size for 30 cents each in my area. I wouldn't dream of using something that had fertilizer in it in my tank, might be ok, but what if it isn't. Your tests don't really test for poison so.... I also like to pain the bottoms of fry tanks and use bare bottom tanks. (paint on the outside)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks. I only had pure soil, no fertilizers in the pots and the plants were only i there for about a month. Do you also know where I could possibly get some type 7 mesh?? I'm making a tank divider and all i need is mesh. I've tried almost everywhere from walmart to lowe's, to menards and even craft stores. And you know what i found? Nothing absolutely nothing. Plus, now after my fish gave birth, she jumped out of the breeder net and into the tank again. She won't leave my male platy alone. Weirdo.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
ummm check the fabric stores, look for white crindilne (SP) they probably have mesh there too. My walmart has it in the fabric section, Joanns will have it for sure if you have one near you.

Just buy new pots. IT will cost you less then 2.00 :) Walmart has the small tenny tiny ones (1.5" diameter) out with the spring stuff (it's 2 degrees here and they are putting out spring crap!) for 15cents each saw them tonight. So for say a dollar is it worth any kind of risk at all?

Good luck on the mesh :) you can use any kind that has holes too small for the fish, you don't need the kind for fishing, the kind for sewing/crafts will do just fine.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd23660

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the link, nanu!! I'll try and look there. I know what you mean about walmart. It was -24F yesterday and they had the stuff. Course, I don't know what I was doing out and about in that whether. lol I felt like -32F and I'm like, "Oh!! It's negative freezing outside!!" lol!! Plus, with the link to Jo-Ann Fabrics, I'm like, "It looks so familiar!!" Yes, yes it does. I live across the street from one. It took me 5 minute to figure it out. *face palm*

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks, nanu. Yes, when it was -24 outside we still had to go to school. Jerks!! Now it's in the 40s. My cats are begging me to let them outside. My male cat, Harley, likes to dig in the snow. But as for Whisper, Harley's sister, hate the snow. lol