Hazzzy water and dust like particles in water..

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Do not add a shark or any more fish until you buy a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrate or nitrite and cycle your fish tank. If you refuse to buy a test kit and cycle your tank, your shark will likely die like all the rest of your fish. Please take our advice. We care about your fish and are trying to help you.

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
carbon will clear up your water. most likely I've never seen it not work. I believe they sell under gravel filter tops with carbon in them. Im not one for adding chemicals of any kind to my tanks so as far as tap water goes (which someone mentioned ) I use it but I let it sit for at least a day in one of those big spring water bottles . like the ones ya put up side down in the things. For a while I was putting carbon right in my tank cause I figured the whole bottom was a filter so why not , but was told it wasn't a good idea so whats in there is thee but im not adding any more.

Mar 8, 2010
Ok guys.. So lastly I purchased a filter for my tank.. I didnt get fluval 3 / 4, But i got some thing called dolphin 1200 which he said is eqvivalent to the one you recommended. The water seems to move now in the tank well.. Due to its force. And my fishes seems to enjoy it too.. Because of the force. They swin against the water current. Now.. I will get back after a week with a news of my water hazziness. And again if some one could suggest me the test kits name.. Like you suggested for filter.. Fluval 3.. So that i can again go to the shopkeeper.. Because he says nothing is needed. It will be stable till now. Again the mortality rate has reduced after adding this tinfoil. Also the hazziness has reduced a lot.. And water is clear.. Just some redness I think which is because of the tetra bit... Am i right?

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
sounds like your well on your way to success. I wouldn't add any fish for three weeks.( I would only last two ) . As long as the fish in there are looking healthy and content I would say its safe to add more fish. also you can get any test kit you want, but don't become obsessed with them. ( it will drive you crazy testing every other day) Keep up with 10-20% water changes of usable water and the fish in your tank will tell you how your water quality is . I haven't used a test kit on my tank for about 8 months. and when I do its just to check out the PH. I ll also test water if established fish die in numbers ( which realy doesn't happen in an established tank with basic maintenance. good luck man and keep us updated.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Is, I don't agree that "your fish will tell you if the water is OK" The fish may not show signs of harm until it is too late. Also if the person who is looking at the fish is not very experienced, they may or may not recognize an issue. The only real way to know if there is an issue with water quality is to test the water.

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
D dad,I know everyone won't agree with the way I do things but if I was new at a hobby and got replies like some of the ones I read I would be discuraged to say the least. I believe fish keeping should be relaxing and enjoyable and I just wanted to let the kid know there are other ways to be successful. I think the best tool is to see how people do things across the board from low tech to high tech and everywhere in between and find what works best for ones self.

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
you've got it all figured out he's a fish killer and Im irresponsible. happy for ya
sorry about the back and forth all . Im done now.

Feb 27, 2009
I ll also test water if established fish die in numbers ( which realy doesn't happen in an established tank with basic maintenance.
The test kits are designed to help you IDENTIFY problems BEFORE 'fish die in numbers' as you state. I don't believe you need to test every other day once a tank is stable, but every week or so, or whenever you add new fish, or if you notice any odd behavior, would help give you a heads up on what to do to correct things before they cause injury/death to your fish.

No one is trying to discourage anyone from fishkeeping. We're here to help those that ask for help keep healthy fish.

Last edited:

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I agree that hobbies should be enjoyable and relaxing but with starting anything new there is going to be some hard work involved as well as learning curve. I mean when I first started I added some water to a tank which was 3 gallons and later that day I added about 15 - 20 fish in it. :eek::p

I think, prakash8820, is doing a great job at asking questions and getting clarification about answers. So don't feel like anyone is trying to discourage you from this wonderful hobby!!

We're here to help those that ask for help keep healthy fish.
Nice wording OC....I think that should be the forum's slogan!! Maybe as happy as well.
"We're here to help those that ask for help keep healthy, happy fish"

Last edited:

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
I know I stated that OC but I did also state that deaths in numbers dosn't really happen when maintenance is kept up with. I think that fish dying is something that happens to people just starting out and a huge deal was made of it when realisticly its kind of normal , and I donlt think anyone told P that.I guess I was just tying to let parakash know that test kit s don't fix the problem and going out and buying equipment and chems dosnt' either. Im not against testing I just no if your testing everyday all the time trying to reach perfection its going to drive ya nuts.

I think parakash is doing a fine job also.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
lstorns, it's perfectly 'normal' for new fishkeepers who were given rotten advice to have many fish dying. New fishkeepers who are given proper advice need not have any fish deaths at all, unless through old age.
Liquid test kits themselves don't fix the problem, but they are the first step to knowing if there is a problem that the fishkeeper him/herself needs to fix.
Even well-maintained tanks - or tanks that the fishkeeper thinks is well-maintained - can developed issues with a spike in ammonia, etc.
"Perfection" in water levels isn't that hard to achieve, because unless one is dealing with very particular fish, or trying to breed certain kinds, "perfection" is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and up to 20 nitrates; temp and pH can range and most fish, like humans, will adapt.
Prakash, thank you for continuing to listen to us just trying to help you have "happy, healthy fish" as achase put it!

Mar 8, 2010
Hey a last help... What i have noticed now.. I have found my water to become less hazzzy.. But I have found some dust like particles or rather some particles attached to the glasss. Which makes me feel water hazzy. Other wise its good. What could be that...Can any one tell me? Some one told me its algae? What do u say..