I thought Bettas killed eachother..

Mar 11, 2003
You said you didn't want to see what happens, but when you went on to explain, thats exactly what you are doing! If male bettas were "meant to be together" than we wouldn't want you to seperate them, now would we? This is not just irresponsible, its animal cruelty. If you are "keeping our advice in mind," when are you going to use it? When one of them is belly up? Then you'll be thinking "Oh gee that was a stupid idea." We are trying to save you from that experience, and others reading this post that might "try to see what happens." Don't keep our advice in mind, keep it at heart and follow through with it. I don't get people like you. And I am not trying to be mean either, I am trying to spare a bettas life. I work so hard to cure diseased fish from walmart, when all along there are people out there worse then pet stores themselves trying to get bettas to coexist peacefully. Leave the experiments to the scientists...

Alexa

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
Maybe a pic would help us understand this better.. I just put the new betta in with the small angel fish and right away he flared up. So I moved him back to the 10 gallon...

I think you might have a male and a female betta..

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
Its almost as if they were meant to live together.
But they weren't, and that's the point everyone is trying to make.

I find it odd and disturbing that you would even say something like "i thought betta's were supposed to kill each other" then add a LOL beside it. Nothing funny about purposely trying to kill any fish.

You may find it funny that people are considered but I don't. Like I said, maybe a photo would help ease our minds a bit..

precious i was thinking the same thing..she IS trying to see what will happen.

I DO NOT THINK YOU UNDERSTAND that they will snap...and you probably wont be there when it happens...Why is it so important to you that you dont mind risking an innocent animals life?Why not be safer than sorry?! What is there to gain?

And, how are you sure they are males....some females have surprising finnage...

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
I guess we should tell her what she wants to hear.

Go ahead and keep the two male bettas together! I am sure they will live peacefully together for the years to come. Any nibbles on each other are gay love bites...nothing to worry about :D If they start to look bored, put in a small family of nemos. they should get along really well and will make the bettas feel right at home.

Mar 11, 2003
Cowlovergirl, I wouldn't suggest putting bettas in with angel fish. Angel fish are fin nippers and can tear your betta to shreds. Also, they have long fins that may resemble a male betta. While some people have done it w/out problems, others have had nothing but problems.

Alexa

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I just saw this thread for the first time, I dont think I have been quite so mad on this site, and i have seen some bad posts before. My post now is going to seem very unlike me, please forgive me for writing this:
I DO NOT BELIEVE that you have two male bettas together in a tank. I do however believe that you may believe you have two male bettas together. I would put my life down on a bet that one of those fish is a female, or that they arent even bettas at all! I have witnessed male bettas together in large tanks before and they were fighting till death.
Now lets just happen to say that they were male bettas and this is some different world where male bettas can live a happily together and swim "side by side" but yet they could snap at any moment, you should take some responsibility and separate them when many people who know about bettas give you that advice.
Have respect for your fish.

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
Okay thanks Alexa, however i wasn't putting the betta in with the angelfish lol.. I have no idea what you are talking about actually. I was referring to the person who posted the message who's name is angelfishangel?

I learnt the lesson the hard way with our angel's...

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
Anyone else find it interesting that britt isn't coming back to this post? She has replyed to several since her last one here... Like i said she probably doesn't like what's being said.. I want some pics though of her two betta's together just prove they must be different sex's....

Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
alright, i didn't post for awhile because i didn't want to ruin things even more...also, i've been packing for a vacation so i haven't had time...but seriously, i don't mean to sound rude, but i'm really tired of hearing rude remarks about my fish..ya'll could be right that their different sex, i don't know...but it seems that every time i open my inbox, there's a new message from someone, and its something rude or something that i've heard before, and i'm tired of it...so i chose not to reply or post to anything to make things better..and yes, cowlover, u were right..i didn't like what was being said..but thanx anyway everyone

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Britt...you were the one that posted it in the first place. They're not being rude from what I've seen...they're trying to get you to understand that having 2 male bettas together in a tank is a death sentence for one or both of them and asking you to seperate them before someone gets hurt. This is a fish board and if you didn't want any comments then you shouldn't have posted.