I thought Bettas killed eachother..

Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
ok..i posted it, to let people know that it was weird..i didn't post it to be told that i'm being irresponsible and stuff like that...i knew i would probably get a few comments like that, but i didn't expect the same people to tell me the same stuff over and over.

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
so you want us to not be mad OK.......sure. i think we are all ACUALLY caring unlike people who put two MALE bettas in a 55. i think gomer has got a point they wiil be playin with eachother and happy happy do da do da. NOT

Mar 11, 2003
No reason to be mad?! You knowingly post that you have 2 MALE bettas together on a Betta forum full of betta lovers. All who know not to put 2 male bettas together. Not because they tried it to see what would happen, but because its common knowledge that, Siamese Fighting Fish actually DO fight. Should we all clap for you that one day your bettas will be shredded or even dead? Should we go on to say, "Yeah this is weird, keep up the good work"? Thats not how I took this post, and I am pretty sure hardly anyone else did either.

Alexa

Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
ok...now, you guys are all gonna be mad at me for this (kinda), but you guys were right...mine did snap. we witnessed it just now...but like i said i would do, i removed him before any damage occurred. but i am sorry for saying what i said in all my posts, but like i said, i removed him before any damage. i didn't put them together to see what would happen. i put them together to see how they would adjust to a bigger tank, because we had just gotten the tank. but like i said, you all were right, i should have probably removed one earlier, but i didn't see any need to. i know it is my fault that this happened, but i at least did what i said i would do and removed one. so thank you/

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
if you dont want to be told your doing something irresponsible, than keep things like these to yourself or better yet dont do them at all

this forum is based on everyone sharing their opinions and experience...by posting thats what you asked for and thats what you got!

btw-i dont think anyones comments have been really rude

that all being said, i think the problem here is

#1-nobody understands why you would put 2 males bettas together like that in the first place...sounds like curiosity to see what would happen

#2-the title of your thread "i thought bettas killed each other lol"...think about it

#3-we all know that bettas in community tanks can be perfect citizens one day and then snap...so everyone can imagine whats going to happen in a tank with 2 MALE bettas (if thats what they are) seems like this possibility dosent worry you if your not willing to put a divider in or separate them somehow...which brings me to

#4-it seems that these people care more about YOUR fish than you do...everyone is trying to tell you the same things...dont do this...separate them....eventually theyll snap and chances are you wont be around to stop it and so on....

everyones telling you the same things over and over because its all true and they are trying to get it through your head that your irresponibility is going to kill your fish...why risk it unless you just dont care about them at all

why dont you want to separate them?

--liz:)

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
i must have been still posting while you posted...anyway

Originally posted by AngelFishAngel
ok...now, you guys are all gonna be mad at me for this (kinda), but you guys were right...mine did snap. we witnessed it just now...but like i said i would do, i removed him before any damage occurred. but i am sorry for saying what i said in all my posts, but like i said, i removed him before any damage. i didn't put them together to see what would happen. i put them together to see how they would adjust to a bigger tank, because we had just gotten the tank. but like i said, you all were right, i should have probably removed one earlier, but i didn't see any need to. i know it is my fault that this happened, but i at least did what i said i would do and removed one. so thank you/
you are very LUCKY you even saw it happen...could have easily woken up in the morning with one dead and the other shredded/dead...i'm sure everyone will be glad to hear they've been separated tho

some people just have to learn the hard way i guess:rolleyes: too bad it ends up being at the fish's expense

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
1. i have never had bettas before this, so i didn't really think there was a problem...

2. like i said in my last post, i put them together so i could see how they adjust to a larger tank.

3. as i said in #1, i have never had bettas before, so in a way, i was told you shouldn't put 2 males together, but you could.

5. at first, i was starting to not believe everyone about it because they were getting along so well and they were for so long, but like i said in my last post, i made a mistake, everyone was right because my one just snapped.

6. i titled my post that because (as i've said in one of my posts) at first i thought the situation was somewhat funny and odd because they didn't behave together like everyone has told me.

i'm going to say it again....I MADE A MISTAKE, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO EVERYONE, I'M SORRY. I DON'T WANT ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THIS OK?? I REMOVED ONE BETTA BEFORE ANY DAMAGE OCCURRED!! SO ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE, I WAS WRONG...i'm pretty sure everyone was glad to hear that i was wrong...

so please, no negative comments on this..i feel bad enough already

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Amen to that...and the only reason people say things over and over around here is when they feel strongly that someone hasn't taken the correct course of action and their fish are in danger.

There have been some occasions where one person is doing the repeating over and over...and that does get old...but when you see the ENTIRE BOARD jumping down someone's throat about something you had probably better pay a little respect/attention.

Glad your particular situation is over.

Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
and i'd just like to add something....i understand you all are betta lovers...i know i should have listened to you..but i know that i am only a beginner with bettas, but i loved them as much as you all loved bettas..i know it didn't seem like it, but trust me, i love my fish and i do take care of them even tho it doesn't seem like it

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
OK, not to draw this out or anything, but why do people put ANY bettas in community tanks.

There seems to be an awful lot of posts saying "What can I put in my (10)(20)(50) gallon tanks with my male betta". What is the idea behind putting a male betta in with other fish? Bettas are not strong smimmers so they lose out on feeding with other faster fish in a large tank. Also, their (meat-preferring) diet, temperment and long-flowing fins are not well suited for community tanks.

These are territorial fish, they PREFER their own space. Of course, I don't mean little cups, but a 2 or 5 gallon tank is just fine for a single betta male.

Why are people romancing the idea of the lonely betta male. Is it a sense of human guilt? He is alone therefore he must be lonely, hogwash I say. In fact, my females have shown much more energy and better growth since I divided their tanks.

Bigger tanks do not make them live longer, they need to expend a lot more energy to just get to the surface to breathe. Bettas also tend to fade and loose color in bigger tanks.

If you really want to give your betta some company, get another tank, get another betta, and put them about 6" apart. Tada!

All this advocating community tank stuff will lead to more 'experiments' with mixing bettas with other fish and likely do more harm than good.

Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
you did make a good point, but i actually noticed a bit more improvement in my bettas when we put them in the 55. their colors (for some odd reason) were a bit brighter...mine seemed to get bigger (is that a good thing?) they were more active and swam more (although i dont know if that's a good thing). and they got more food than the other fish actually, because as soon as we put the food in, the bettas quickly swam around the top, as if they were guarding the food from the other fish.they were the first ones to eat. they always stuck to the top half of the tank. but you did make a good point, but honestly, i think our bettas adjusted better to a bigger tank than they did with the other tanks.

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
Originally posted by AngelFishAngel
and i'd just like to add something....i understand you all are betta lovers...i know i should have listened to you..but i know that i am only a beginner with bettas, but i loved them as much as you all loved bettas..i know it didn't seem like it, but trust me, i love my fish and i do take care of them even tho it doesn't seem like it
well said! alot of people wouldnt have told us what happened and not admitted they were wrong at all...sorry if i seemed harsh earlier it wasnt meant as an attack or anything

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
If there is one thing bettas love, its food! But there are still a lot of drawbacks to putting a betta in a community tank.

Now, to clarify, I am not suggesting anyone remove their (single) male betta from their community tanks, but rather trying to get the point accross that there is no need to put them in a community tank if they already have their own.