I thought Bettas killed eachother..

Mar 11, 2003
Glad they are seperated Britt. And I am relieved that you saw them, instead of one getting seriously hurt. Your bettas might have gotten bigger and brighter because they were trying to show off to each other. Bettas also prefer more width than hieght, which is why they stuck around the top half of the tank. Sorry if my posts seem harsh, I am battling with a whole group of people who believe its okay to put 3 females and a male in a 5 gallon tank.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Whoa guys, dont go REDUCING your tanks sizes for bettas, just don't stick them in community tanks with other fish.

1 male and 3 females in a 5 gal is a terrrible idea!!! What prevents mating, or fights? (Will a male mate with a female with others in the tank). Don't males get more agressive with age?

Jul 10, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
hey its ok precious...well, i think one reason mine got so much brighter was because i feed the bettas this pellet stuff that helps with its colors, but i didn't feed the pellets to them that often so i think what you said is one reason...but my tank isn't really small..its a really good size for bettas..

my brother is afraid though that his betta may die soon...don't know why...but his is still in the 55 gallon (i didn't find it necessary to move both into seperate tanks) and now that mine is out, he's been hiding...i don't know why..perhaps maybe he's a little bit of afraid and shy now that the other one is out...who knows..

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
sadley they do fight
i would recomend u research a fish mroe before buying them

especially since allmsot EVERY one knows males fihgt and every lfs says u can not keept hem togethor when u purchase them

that aside.
back when is tarted wiht betta's i had two in there own 1 gallon conatiners
beside each other.a nd with out thinking one jumped into the others container and i had two dead fish

because one kills the other but the survived most of the time dies from its wounds.
your bettas in reality could have lived there lifes in the 55. if it was HEAVILY planted.
but both of them would be in great strees nad have few fins left.

as for a container. i preffer 1 gallon per fish or plus

u can keep in less. but this requires more water changes :)
oh and btw i own around 30 betta's right now. and have two in the spawning tanks :)

oh and about the breeding thing. i have come to notice betta's woill not breed unless water surfaces are still or near to it. and the 3 females evne mommy would eat the eggs up quick :)

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
In response to Iggys post saying;

but why do people put ANY bettas in community tanks.

I just want to say that a few years ago when i had a previous tank set up i had a community of a wide variety of different fish including guppies, platys, angels and tetras, and i also had a male betta. I dont remeber ever having any problems with him, i guess maybe he just had a good personality.
Though now a days i wouldn't put them in community simply because if i get a betta i want to be able to apprecite him all on his own.
Anyway, i know for a fact my gourami would not be very impressed by a new betta tank mate!

Mar 11, 2003
Blueinfinity- male bettas were just not meant to be together...period. It doesn't matter the size of the tank or how well its planted. When they see each other, they will fight, thats just how bettas are. And if anyone didn't notice (I don't want to be rude) but the topic has kinda passed on. The problem was solved and we certainly don't want to bring it up again...

Alexa

May 11, 2003
Canada
After reading all of these posts, I have 2 questions.

1- How big is a betta's territory in the wild ???

2- Do females do better in a community tank ?? Are they better at swmming in the current ??

webjunkie

Large Fish
Jul 22, 2003
Longmont, CP
I've also had a betta (single male) in a community tank before without any problems. I did keep a close eye on him for a few weeks before I relaxed. I also found that you can teach a betta to come to a specific place to be fed so that you can feed him a specific thing and not the same stuff as all the other fish.

For my tank that was a ten gallon it may have helped that there weren't many other fish in there at the time. In fact he put another fish that was being aggressive in her place. She tried to nip his fins and he twirled around so fast it sent her to the other side of the tank all in a tizzy. From that time on the betta ruled the tank and my problems with that bully of a female swordtail vanished. Too bad my neighbors killed him when I was off visiting family in NY (I kept him in a bowl with some live plants over break while the tank stayed back in my dorm room with an automatic feeder). They overfed him and let things like doghairs get in his bowl. When I got him back about five days later he was turning very pale. I tried water changes, along with stress coat but alas he refused to eat and died a day later. Well, never trusting neighbors with my fish again.