My new 38 Gallon tank.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Clearance at petco yea...good price...

My duff.. well...its busy with the new house and kids but it will be up and at petco this weekend for gravel.

Som...good advice on the jump starting thanx!

Should I go sand or gravel???

I will have cories patrolling the bottom...

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Sand. Cories have barbells around their mouth, and they can easily injure them in gravel. I personally am not a fan of white/beige sand, so I would suggest Tahitian Moon Sand, which is black. Two bags should be plenty.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Sand is very hard to keep looking clean, but when it is it looks awesome. I have used quickcrete peagravel. It is way cheaper than petstore gravel and the rocks have a million colors. It really does look good.

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
I use some of the quickcrete sand from my local hobby store. It's white, and yes it gets ugly when it's dirty... But when it's clean, my tank looks like the bottom of a tropical river! I loooove it.
Heck when it's dirty it looks awsome... Well at least when it's a bit browned...
If you go white sand, watch out for Jungle medicine tabs... They dyed blue spots in my sand DX

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I think I am leanign towards Bunkers Idea. I assume I must be able to get it at a hardware store.

May hit HD tonght. Kids are asking about the tank. Fish need space. Fry need safety.

Havent decided if tank is in the dining room or living room. Have to check with wife and decide.

Q: My water heater. What is the better placement? Verticle along the glass with the suction tubes or on the bottom - maybe covered by gravel?

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
You should be able to find it at HD. Just make sure you wash it. It is very dirty. I took a 5 gallon bucket and drilled holes in the sides and bottom and stuck a water hose in it. i used my hands to shake it up. It's ok if there is a little left over when you put it in the tank, you will get it when you do your water changes.

I prefer my heater to be vertical, but there is really no reason.

Good luck

Jun 21, 2008
If vaguely recall hearing that a heater is most effective placed horizontally, (because heat rises and this distributes it better), and placed near the filter, which can help circulate the heated water. I think it might have been Lotus who said that, but I don't recall where. I would say that if you put it horizontally, don't bury it. I'm pretty sure they need to be exposed and not touching anything. They can also be kind of fragile and burying it with rocks is probably not the way to ensure a long life for your heater.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
tHANKS DESIGN.

The directions suggest verticle over horizontal too so I will tAKE

YOUR advice.

I think like this so I type like this.

Does that make sense????

Jun 21, 2008
lol Mercury. I don't know though, I could use a good fish haiku every once in a while. Maybe like this:

My heater is broke
All the fish are too toasty
Time for a new one

And yes, TAL, it makes sense to type how you talk.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
where did u get the tank from, it is nice
PETCO on clearance...

THinking in Haiku
is too tough for me to do
I think not that way

I am thinking maybe using a combination of the tahiatian moon sand and gravel kinda similiar in a way to what kissyboots did in her tanky wanky.

Be aware that over time you'll get the Brazillian Nut effect.
Basicly that's where the big pieces rise to the top and the smaller ones go to the bottom. So assuming you'll mix the sand and gravel together, over time you'll get a layer of sand on the bottom with a layer of gravel on top.
That's assuming you don't continually stir it up.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Be aware that over time you'll get the Brazillian Nut effect.
Basicly that's where the big pieces rise to the top and the smaller ones go to the bottom. So assuming you'll mix the sand and gravel together, over time you'll get a layer of sand on the bottom with a layer of gravel on top.
That's assuming you don't continually stir it up.
Well.... I was thinkg about the left end of the tank having larger rocks.

They would give way to small rocks (gravel) in the middle of the tank and then the sand at the right end of the tank.

I was thinking about letting fake plants inhadbit the right end of the tank.

But yea man... those brazilians are nuts.

Sep 24, 2008
I'm a newb myself..but I've been reading over the threads since u first posted with your 3 gal....I'm so hyped up to get a bigger tank now..but I don't have enough room for it until i move.
i will live vicariously through you for now...
good luck!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I'm a newb myself..but I've been reading over the threads since u first posted with your 3 gal....I'm so hyped up to get a bigger tank now..but I don't have enough room for it until i move.
i will live vicariously through you for now...
good luck!

Live Vicariously !!!! I will share my fun with you.

Mi tanky tu tanky!

I'm washing the gravel out tomorrow to put it in YEAYYY

Where do ya live and why are ya moving?

Have you posted a Hiaku yet in the lounge Haiku thread?