New 46 Bowfront Reef

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i've read the ideal timing is:

8am actinics on
10am full lights
6pm only actinics
8 pm actinics off

im sure u can mess around with the hourage a little, but just letting u know what i've seen.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Some more pics

Rock on the left - has the least amount of 'stuff' but is my favorite because of the shape.

Rock on the Right. Is that grayish and white wormy thing a type of sponge? It grossed me out when I lifted the rock out of the water to move it, those things were flopping all over. It startled me and I almost dropped the rock. (I am a wuss when it comes to bugs/worms/etc)

As you can see I am having a micro-bubble issue :(. Trying to work on that.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Lol. Hmmm..nothing much has changed yet...except I put in the Coral Beauty and some of the other corals.

Some random shots:

This is from the old tank, but I think it's funny. He had to do some serious acrobatics to get up there...he completely cleaned it overnight.

I still have some rock in the QT (See my new friend?) I also got a piece of green florida ricordia - left side.
(The sun coral is going into the big tank tonight...it was just easier to feed in there)

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I want those sun corals! how long have you had them for, how often do you feed and what do you feed? lol sorry, I can't wait to find some healthy specimens around here for my tank. yours look like they would be really healthy when fully opened up!

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yep...cuz it was right after I moved. :D

I just got the one clown for now....haven't decided if I want a pair...but probably. At $30 a piece I had to space it out a bit. I might get another in a few weeks. I didn't realize how tiny he was until I got him home. My coral beauty looks like a giant in comparison.
My LFS had him in QT for 2 weeks and then in their display with other clowns for another week. He's really healthy looking and active :)

Here's the sun coral eating:

Ricordia: The picture doesn't do it's bright green much justice.

Last edited:

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Yes i love the sun corals and the ricordeas, my two favorites! One more question, how long do the polyps stay out for each day normally? Can you please give me a rough time frame of when they come out, when you feed them, etc? Do you offer food to make it come out or do they come out on its own?

I have two pieces at two different LS but of course, the polyps are never out and I want to make sure i buy a relatively healthy one...thanks in advance!

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
In the beginning you will probably have to offer food in order for the coral to open. If you feed it around the same time each day...it should then start to open on it's own around that time wanting food. In a sense you are 'training' your sun coral. Mine typically opens around 7pm which is when I feed it and usully stays open for the rest of the night until the next morning.
The easiest way to offer food is to suck up some shrimp in a feeder syringe and squirt some of the shrimp water over the coral then wait about 10 minutes and see if it opens. Since mine is still fairly small I remove it from the tank to a container to feed so I don't foul up my water.

Mine has gotten to the point that if I stick my arm in the tank for any reason it opens because it thinks it's getting food.

Here's a picture of it open:

Here's a better pic of my new clown:

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
lol your clown looks like my male clown, cowlick. i absolutely love your sun corals, they look really healthy! does it stress them out when you are constantly taking them out of the tank to feed? wait, you've been doing it for 9 months so I'm guessing it is okay! thanks for the info, I appreciate it!