Picture Time (56k Warning)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
thanks bud...the coraline has really grown quickly...about half of those pieces were well covered when i got them and half weren't...now they are all pretty well covered with i think about 7 different varieties

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
probably not...i don't have halides so i don't want to go down the clam road...as far as LPS, there aren't too many which I really like. I had an open brain and a bubble coral in my old tank and i liked those, but i am probably going to just keep this one as a softies tank...but, that is all subject to change with my fancy:)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
my sinularia was doing well when i brought in home from the LFS and then it started shrinking do to lack of light. since then i bought 2 more T-5's for a total of 3 48" and boy did it perk right up and really started to grow. i did a water change 1st one since i had it and 2 days later its all shrivled up worse then ever. how could a water change do this? I have to do water changes. its my first coral and it may not even be a sinularia but it looked like the one in your pic nice and light pink now its dark and purple. Q: can it be saved. A: ?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i have dialup and it took less than 2 mins to load all the pics :)
damn--you coralline is freakin sweet: what's your secret?
what species is your sinularia? i have an s. dura (whom you identified for me, thank you) and it's "interesting"--do you have any tips for leathers?
and one more thing--your water params (maybe sg, temp, nitrate, Ca, PO4, and anything else you may find necessary)

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i have dialup and it took less than 2 mins to load all the pics :)
damn--you coralline is freakin sweet: what's your secret?
what species is your sinularia? i have an s. dura (whom you identified for me, thank you) and it's "interesting"--do you have any tips for leathers?
and one more thing--your water params (maybe sg, temp, nitrate, Ca, PO4, and anything else you may find necessary)
thanks--just remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (you may see some sort of influence in the coming months :) )

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think he was referring to the fact that i dated a pick Aug 05

i dont know the specific species of sinularia...i ordered it from live aquaria and it was called "thin finger leather"

my other sinularia is sinulria dura (which is how I knew yours right away)...I am thinking of propogating it. Has your S. dura spread any? mine is growing larger and larger but it never seems to divide (as I understand they do)

in terms of leathers i also have a couple sarcophytons (one which i have heard called "umbrella leather" and one of the "toadstool leathers"). I got the umbrella virtually as a donation from a local guy. he didn't want it and i was buying some mushrooms and stuff off him and he gave it to me (its very small). The toadstool I bought at about 6in and it is now around 8in

my other softies are a nepthea, a crop of xenia, GSPs, some actinodiscus mushrooms of various colors, 4 ricordia yuma, and a bunch of rhodacits indosinensis

coralline: no secret, it just grows...i'm using PC lights (265w) which is good for coraline compared to MH. That's about it. I don't dose Ca or anything, just regular water changes. Most of my live rock was well covered when it went in the tank (some from an old tank of mine and some from online); it bleached out a bit but it has come back nicely. Remember, also, this stuff has been in there 9+ months.

in terms of leather advice i don't really have any. as you know, they are quite hardy as a general rule, most important thing is to recognize that they can be toxic to SPS corals and may begin to shade other corals below them. Take into acount the varying light/flow needs of your leathers and you should be fine

I don't test my water params as often as I should probably, but at last check:

sg: 1.025
temp: 79 F
nitrate: under 5ppm
Ca: 425
Po4: 0

As far as borrowing my aquascaping ideas I would be honored...I have pulled inspiration from many places and many tanks myself. Whenever I see something I like I try to incorporateit into my tank

Last edited: