Seaclone protien skimmer

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Hey guys, i have found that my turbo flotor is just too heavy duty for my 40 gallon tank, it is too noisy to be used anywhere but in a cabinent in a sump, so i was considering getting the seaclone, if anyone knows anything about this and could let me know that would be great, also if they know if they are noisy or not, the constant loud hum from the ocean runner 2500 pump is driving both my self and my girlfriend insane, on another point if anyone is looking for a almost brand new turboflotor 1000 multi SL i will have one for sale....
thanks
Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...seaclones arent the most efficient skimmer out there. The are quiet. If I were you I would look into a backpack or excalibur.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea i already have a very good skimmer it is just too big and too noisy, i am looking for something that will do the job sufficiently and QUIETLY, i have been researching the Bak paks, and i think thats what i will be going with, does any one have one and can they tell me if they are noisy, also again turboflotor 1000 multi sl almost brand new for sale
Thanks
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Check out the skimmers in use at shops. Bakpaks are reputedly pretty queit, but nothing is silent unless you really want to drop some cash.
You should try searching for reviews of seaclones. I think you'll find one of the common complaints is they're very noisy.
If you think you can get a quiet airpump you might want to try something air powered. Have you considered insulating the sump compartment?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
he doesnt have a sump anymore...thats part of the problem

i dont know if they are quiet, but the aqua-c remora is supposed to be a good hob skimmer...im using an urchin in sump (essentially the same skimmer, different setup) and i like it

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok i am new in this marine world...but i read a lot of bad things about the seaclone. I never used anything else, so i cannot compare. Incredibly, mine is showing signs of skimming, and the cup is filling with green and brown stuff from my live rock i guess. BTW, with my DIY canopy, i barely hear the sound of the seaclone.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
so i have turned a complete 180, i decided to go with the aqua-c remora, its a bit more pricy, but everything i have read about the bak-paks is that they tend to produce a LOT of bubbles in the tank, and it seems like it isnt even in the initial set up phase but it is a constant thing, so thats the final i went ahead and ordered it and i will be selling my turbo flotor as soon as it gets here..
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't have experience with the bak-pak, but if you want quiet, it's supposed to be the quietest H.O.B. I wouldn't call a remora especially quiet.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you will get used to the noise anyway

i lived next to the freeway for two years and for the first month or so it drove me crazy, but after that it was just white noise...the mind can do beautiful things...course, over the freeway noise i didn't have to worry about aquarium noise ;)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
so i got the aqua-c remora it has been set up for roughly 24 hours and it is already pullling stuff out of the tank, it is sooo much quieter as well and there are no bubbles as i added the prefilter option when i bought it so al in all i am very happy

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The fun lasted 4-5 month...now the cheap platic endings are leaking due to the cleaning. I just cleaned it twice, very carefully each time.
The skimming is inefficient now that some air is being sucked by a loose ending. I'll have to fix this.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea i think in the long run it is just better to invest the money if your are planning on being in the hobby for a while, my aqua-c remora is still running great and pulls all sorts of stuff out of the tank.