Seaclone protien skimmer

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
It acts as a prefilter. Big chunk of food or stuff is sucked into the foam...and when it starts to decompose in mini pieces it's going to the pump. I guess it's not an obligation but i think if you remove it it will eventually clog the pump.
Anyways...if you clean the foam bi-monthly or monthly it's a matter of seconds.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I dont use the sponge. When I finally have the pump adjusted correctly the sponge clogs and needs to be cleaned. I find that the skimmer functions fine without the sponge.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Has any one ever heard or seen a protien skimmer that sits on the floor?
All the ones I have seen that are below like 200 dollers hang on the back of the tank. I'm looking into getting one but I only have about 150-200$ and it has to be able to go on the ground because there is no room between the tank and my wall???

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
so you are looking for something that is sumpless but doensnt hang on the back, well I can think of at least one but I think it is about 350$, some skimmers are small enough to fit on the side of a tank, like my aqua-c remora will definetly fit on the side of a tank, but it is about 225$ with all the accesories, might be able to find it cheaper, its a great skimmer

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
a lot of skimmers can be plumbed inline so they will sit on the floor/in the stand, but getting a HOB is probably easier if you can find a way to fit it on there because your tank is not drilled...the remoras are pretty thin (3 inches deep or so i think)

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Ok until I can go out and buy some powerheads and a skimmer, what does everyone think about doing something now. what I mean is I have my Fluval that has one whole side of foam to catch gunck and stuff the I have Fluval pre filter, then carbin, then more foam in the to top layer. Should I get red of the MEDIA.....??

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Do you think that cleaning the filter that often or just rensing the pad will drop the ph? I used to have big ph issues, not to bad any more, i never knew why. how often if at all when not needed do you add ph buffer. and how does your ph drop?