Upgrading My SW Tank...Need Help/Advice

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Personally I have a skunk cleaner and a blood (fire) shrimp. The fires are more pricey, but tend to hide alot. Skunk cleaners are really active, constantly out in the open, and cheaper. I like how they look though, even if the fire hides a bit. Im pretty pleased with the pair of them overall, both very sharp looking shrimp.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have a cleaner shrimp and peppermint in my 20 along with a pistol shrimp.....everyone hides but the cleaner he is active and always hanging upside down checking things out....the pistol is the biggest sand mover.....him and his gobie......

in the 75g I have 4 peppermint shrimp who I believe killed a cleaner I introduced........but I never see them during the day....they sure surf the current at night though.....

GO WITH THE CLEANERS....SKUNK CLEANERS THAT IS....

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok I think that I am going to get 2 Cleaners. Just cause I want to see them. :p I added 7 Astrea Snails today. So right now Invert/Cleaner wise I have 8 Nassarius Snails and 7 Astrea Snails. My plant is to get 12 more Nassarius Snails, 12 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits, 5 Emerald Crabs, and 12 Cerith Snails. Too Much?? Not Enough???

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
K just a couple more shots :rolleyes:

This is the first pic that I have taken of this Curly-Q Anenome that has come out. So I had to share it

And this is my Pacific Zebra Anenome. If anyone has any info on this guy please let me know what you got, cause Im not finding anything.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I wouldn't go with 5 emerald crabs....one maybe but not 5 they can get kind of aggressive when they get bigger......could be a problem down the road. One should be all you need for any algae issues. Those curly que's and the zebra look great I have only read small bits on the zebras, there isn't much out there on them

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Thanks. :D ok so what about 1 Emerald Crab, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 7 Astrea Snails, 8 Nassarius Snails, 9 Cerith Snails, and 10 Blue Leg Hermits. Would I need more??? If not thats all I would like to go with cause I want everyone to have plenty of room. What do you all think (once again :eek:)

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
The astrea are great for algae. I don't know much about the cerith, but I do have 50+ nassarious snails and they do great at eating left overs and stirring the sand bed. My emerald has about doubled in size and has recently been in hiding, could be molting again. I read the blue leg are great for just about anything in your tank just they will kill snails for a bigger shell. Have some extras.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree. Go with 1 emerald and you can never have too many snails.....as some will disappear......go with lots of nassarius about 1 per gallon if you can.....especially if you have a dsb. Just don't add them all at the beginning unless you are using all live sand from another tank.....they could possibly starve......the ceriths are great for cleaning glass etc.....I wish I had more and the astrea are good for algae too....I also like nerite for diatom and cyano....and margaritas.....I have a some turbos in my tank and one huge zebra turbo that is about 5 inches .....bulldozes stuff though so unless your stuff is steady it will knock stuff over.

sounds good though......

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok So I went looking at my LFS and I got 2 Cleaner Shrimp and A Derassa Clam. Here are pics:

Not a great shot but I got of them in the same pic

(I changed the pic to one thats a bit better)
Just thought this was a neat shot

Im going to start with the list that I made above but I will add more as time goes. Thanks for the help Lorna and Joe. :D

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes everyone looks happy. How big is your clam? (you know they get HUGE don't you) my derasa has grown a couple of inches in the past couple of months....going from 4 to 6 inches in two months. They suck down ca like candy.......if it is small (under 4 inches) you should supplement feed it but if over don't worry about feeding.....it will get what it needs from light and filter.....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes it will.....looks great. They grow really fast and get about 18" or so. huge.....

cute little nassarius....climbing up the glass

everything is looking good.....a full tank shot once everything settles in.... :)