As for stocking plans Fish
Already have
2 clowns
1 mandarin
Going to get
Blue tang and/or yellow tang
Maybe a dwarf angel or two.
Stocking corals
I am thinking of SPS, I really like montipora coral.
1 anemone after 6 months.
Maybe you guys can give me some suggestions on stocking fish. I am open to that. Don't have much in mind.
Maybe some gobies like clowns or watch man gobys

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Just came home and one of my clowns was missing the smaller one. So basically I lost my clown to the over flow. Jumped the over flow and was sucked in by the Durso standpipe. I found him dead in the filter sock. R.I.P. I am not getting any more clowns. This is the second one. 1st one was lost to the a power head this one to the overflow. When will it END!!!

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
As for stocking suggestions I'd ditch the blue tang because they need a bit more room and the yellow tang. Why? Everyone and their mother has a yellow tang. There are so many smaller tangs that are ten times more impressive (Kole, Scopas, etc).
Watch it with your dwarf angels too. Some people seem to have luck with them, but I've seen multiple specimens (mine and a buddy's) pick at corals, particularly brains and xenia to the point of death.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
As for stocking suggestions I'd ditch the blue tang because they need a bit more room and the yellow tang. Why? Everyone and their mother has a yellow tang. There are so many smaller tangs that are ten times more impressive (Kole, Scopas, etc).
Watch it with your dwarf angels too. Some people seem to have luck with them, but I've seen multiple specimens (mine and a buddy's) pick at corals, particularly brains and xenia to the point of death.
Done!! I will ditch the blue and yellow tang. dbacksrat how many tangs can I keep in my 90 G. Kole and scopas look good but can i only keep one or both of them. Which other tangs can be kept in the 90.

Help me stock!!
At present I am open on stocking so any suggestions would do in fact if you can give me a list of fish you ever wanted that I can get for my 90 G. The perfect stocking list! I will be highly obliged to follow through it! So post a list.

The most suitable list will be my stocking list period!!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
what about some type of sand sifting gobie or jawfish.....also, Iam partial to my pygmy angel, he is the brightest most out in the open model citizen. Also, don't forget the wrasses. There are some very nice flasher and fairy wrasses out there. Gobies and blennies are always good choices also.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I am a very lazy person and don't want to do research. There are so many marine fish but am not sure which ones would be compatible in a 90 g reef. What are my options? whats my limit? how many tangs, Will gobies, jawfish, pygmy angel and tangs get together in a 90 g. Its a lot complicated then I though.

I am thinking of getting

2 tangs (on the smaller size, is this ok)

2-3 gobies

few Wrasse's (will they be ok)

maybe a chromis or 2.

What about Butterflyfish?? Anybody have experience with them..

I would love to keep as many fish as i can but you can never get what you want, so I was wondering if the list was somewhat ok or it will be an overload on the tank. I have no idea at all.

The most important thing is what my LFS has in stock. I am not going to order any fish online.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Fairy/flasher wrasses will be okay stocking-wise and reefsafe, but they can jump so you might want to do something about covering the overflow if you decide on them. They are otherwise absolutely awesome, peaceful, gorgeous fish, eat anything and are out all the time. If your LFS doesn't normally stock them, they should be able to get some in (it is harder to find specific species in an LFS but they should have some type(s) of fairy wrasse).

I believe most butterfly fish aren't reef safe...

Sorry, don't know much about tang tank sizing. If you're truely lazy, you might not want two big fish (ie, two tangs) in a reef... the fewer fish in the tank, the better water quality will be.

I think you'd be fine with a tang (kole or scopas), a pygmy angel (or some kind of dwarf angel), a trio of fairy wrasses, a jawfish, and a few gobies (or a goby and a blenny). But I'm not an expert on stocking levels, let alone reef tank stocking levels.

Also look into neon gobies, they are reef safe, tank bred, get along with each other and/or larger gobies (mine didn't like clown gobies), and tiny so won't really affect your stocking level.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Fairy/flasher wrasses will be okay stocking-wise and reefsafe, but they can jump so you might want to do something about covering the overflow if you decide on them. They are otherwise absolutely awesome, peaceful, gorgeous fish, eat anything and are out all the time. If your LFS doesn't normally stock them, they should be able to get some in (it is harder to find specific species in an LFS but they should have some type(s) of fairy wrasse).

I believe most butterfly fish aren't reef safe...

Sorry, don't know much about tang tank sizing. If you're truely lazy, you might not want two big fish (ie, two tangs) in a reef... the fewer fish in the tank, the better water quality will be.

I think you'd be fine with a tang (kole or scopas), a pygmy angel (or some kind of dwarf angel), a trio of fairy wrasses, a jawfish, and a few gobies (or a goby and a blenny). But I'm not an expert on stocking levels, let alone reef tank stocking levels.

Also look into neon gobies, they are reef safe, tank bred, get along with each other and/or larger gobies (mine didn't like clown gobies), and tiny so won't really affect your stocking level.
Nice post!! CAPSLOCKS I will look into the stocking list you provided. Looks pretty good to me, I don't know much my self about reef tank stocking though.

Ohh man and I was thinking I could get away with 2 tangs. There is going to be a tank upgrade coming soon for the TANGS.

TRe which tang would you recommend me getting?

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Not much of an update! cuz nothing has been happening.

I have lost a few corals due to the MH lighting. The only things that survived are some mushrooms and a few polyps. Lost my frog spawn, torch coral and leather coral. The tank is having an brown algae bloom which the cleanup crew is not able to keep up. At present I am waiting for my pay check which has been delayed by 5 days already. Hopefully once I get paid I will get a RO/DI unit, a good cleanup crew and a fish or 2. I guess thats it. Will post pics if anything changes!!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
the brown algae bloom is normal and expected ... and good luck with the tank ;)
I did all my research except for the damn lighting. I though that the transfer will go smoothly but did not. After 1 year of experience which was still not enough. This is the second biggest hickup I have had in reef tanks. Hope fully everything will go smoothly from now. I can see the pay checks have come in so I am hopping I will get paid today!!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
A tiny Update!

I know it has been a while since I updated, I have just been very busy with work!
On Saturday I added 3 fish
1) Clown (replacement for the other one)
2) Blue hippo Tang (1" in size, a little skinny but eating. Although eating very little)
3) six line wrasse. (eating pretty good)

will post a few pics in the evening.