40 Breeder Build Log

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Maybe about the guard at the top of the overflow, but nothing right now. I would kind of prefer it to have nothing on the top.

Wave makers = $$!! lol (if we are thinking the same thing...) I am just planning now to have 2 powerheads crashing into each other from opposite ends of the tank. And then have the SCWD hooked up to the return like (mag 9.5) giving me more alternate flow. If i could afford a Vortech, i'd be going that route.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We had quite a few new fish go into our overflow. They seemed to do it more when new to the tank. In the end, we put some plastic canvas over the teeth. So, if you have a fish disappear, check the overflow :)

I've been thinking about Vortechs. But right now, I don't want to spend that kind of money on the tank.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
funny thing is since i posted about the guard i found 1 of my percs in the overflow lol (i knocked the eggcrate off and havnt replaced it yet)
btw u could pick up a wave maker for a pretty good price

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
A pretty good price being what? $200? LOL

I'll definently put some type of netting or guard on the pve intakes, but i am still iffy on the "teeth" on the overflow. Obstruction...meh. One of the reasons i went calfo/coast to coast style. Obstruction free and a nice smooth surface skim.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
you defintly need something there!

btw at dr fosters u could get the wave maker/timer that comes with 3 maxijet 1200's for $80 than u just need 3 sureflo kits ($15 each) and thats it! u can alternate between the 3 in like 20 second intervals

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I got wrapped up in school/work. Having purchased the last thing for my tank about 9 months ago has kept me away from fish related internet sites. I look at mine and enjoy it. It is simple and fully stocked.

All the tanks we make are a work in progress. Hell, I wasn't completely happy with my dad's tank until he finally changed his 10000k's for 15000k's.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
*SLEEPING* FW is boring :p the $ u spent u could have had your 40g running right now .... better yet u kno how much ORA stuff u could have gotten lol u got some nice fish but FW just doesnt do it for me, u look into a FW tank and u see the fish n thats it! u look into a salt tank and and even if the tanks been up for years u still see new life all the time... but hey what evr floats yur boat! *twirlysmi

Last edited: