Good Community fish for a 15 Gallon Freshwater

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
usually 9 hours per day, but won't my plants die, or do they only need 7-8 hours? Would this help reduce algea under the gravel? Also I've heard that corys like smaller substrate, is that true? Sorry I'm throwing so many questions at you. :( :):)

Last edited:

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
actually, I'll make a correction, 11 or 12 hours a day. Arrrrrg. I've also heard that since sand doesn't airate the stuff on the bottom, bacteria don't grow as well, so all the bacteria are in the filter, is this true? Also, is there any kind of cheaper sand thaqt you can buy instead of the expensive pet store sand?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Ok, I got a dwarf gourami last week, and this week I got a Tetra Whisper PF10, and four neons. I couldn't resist and bought two ghost shrimp, because they were only 33 cents a piece!!! Is it still ok to have corys with shrimp, or do corys think of them as food?

Last edited:

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Ok, I have a plan here for changing my substrates. First of all i'll buy the sand, then wash it usin the overflow method thingy. next I'm gonna remove decore and plants. After that I'll siphon out water into the holding tank and put the fish and plants in. Then I'll remove all the gravel into a bucket and dump it. I'll let the crap in the gravel settle, then siphon that out and dump it. After that I'll siphon the rest of the water into a different bucket. Next I'll add the sand and water from bucket two ( onewithout the fish). Then, I'll add the decore and plants and heater and wait for sand to settle. Finally, I'll add the fish back in and turn back on the filters and stuff. Does that sound good? Is the water still going to be cloudy even after the EXTREMELY THOUROUGH (excuse my spelling) WASHING?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you aren't using the filter for the fish in the holding tank, would others here advise turning the filter on before adding the fish, to help with the cloudiness? Not sure that it speeds the process up with sand, but it seemed to for me in the past with gravel . . . .

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if there is water in the tank, you need to keep the water running to keep filter media moist and not loose your bacteria.
Also adding filter floss to the filter (convenient if you run a HOB) and replacing that filter floss daily will help clear up the tank waster.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
if there is water in the tank, you need to keep the water running to keep filter media moist and not loose your bacteria.
Also adding filter floss to the filter (convenient if you run a HOB) and replacing that filter floss daily will help clear up the tank waster.
What do you mean by adding filter floss? Around the intake "basket" or next to the cartridge? I have two filters, so one could be used for the holding tank, and the other for the normal tank, right?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
into the media basket (assuming next to cartridge) for easy removal dont pack it down into the filter. you want to remove the fine silt as you remove the floss daily, so place it on top where the water runs through, if thats possible..