Good Community fish for a 15 Gallon Freshwater

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
just put more platies in...its that simple. you can go crazy with colors or put two groups of certain colors, the possibility is limitless...that'll give you a fairly active tank :)

your other option is one dwarf gourami and 5 pygmy cories along with 5-6 tetras...
or you can put a trio of dwarf gouramies in there and thats it! :)

Acepat

New Fish
Feb 5, 2010
WI
when i first started i put guppies in a ten gallon. i don't know if your interested in breeding the platies, but if you are i would stick with just them and some bottom feeders like corys. and then plant the crap out of the tank so the babies can hide well.

i was very successful with breeding my first guppies and that's what got me hooked on fish.

again this is just a suggestion, your tank, do what you want.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
accually, I'm giving my platy to someone else who I'm helping set up a twenty gallon. Do you think it would be ok if different color varietys breed with each other? I was thinking of getting either a pair of trio of about three color varieties to make it look interesting!! :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
is that a 10 gal? looks like it..
Can I give some optional advise (lol)?
un-plant the hornwort and just leave all of it floating. in time it will spread and cover the entire top. that would leave to bottom of the tank kinda dim, and perfect for some anubias and java ferns and of course some driftwood ;)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they only grow branches, and those do not serve the function of rooting, but you can cover it with gravel like you did to keep them down...I think it would make a better floating plants ;)

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
My gravel is rather large, mainly one or two centimeters actross, about half an inch, and light seems to seep through and make algea grow under the gravel. Do you think it is a good Idea to get sand as a substrate! would this help prevent the algea underneeth under the substrate and is it ok for my plants?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you plants wont mind the sand. warning as sand can grow algae on it if you do not have enough flow in your tank and if you keep your lights on for unreasonably long periods of time (for your tank I'll recommend no more than 6-7 hours a day of light or only light at feeding times)

What is your lighting period for now?