suggestions please?

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
my pearl has not left the upper right corner of my tank. there is a plant that reaches the top of the tank in that corner, so is it just shy or does he want a friend? he has been in there for 2 days and every time i enter my room, if he is out(rarely), he beelines for that corrner or sometimes the opposite one. usually it is whatever one he is closer to.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
ok, i have a 29 gallon tank that i have fully stocked except for a centerpiece fish. i plan to have: 1 bristlenose pleco, 4 peppered cory cats, 4 swordtails, and 5 marbled hatchetfish. what centerpiece fish would be good in there? i do not want rams or gouramis in there, so please do not suggest these.

btw, my pearl is doing better. he is not freaking out as much and comes out to feed(i had been putting flakes around this hiding spot and in it. he did eat then too, but now he comes out).

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
Perhaps one of the more peaceful cichlids if possible? I don't know much about them but I think theres one or two that would work.

BTW, If you want a colorful dwarf gourami ever, go for a flame. The bright orange and gold really stand out.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
i know this is kind of a silly question but nobody's perfect. i would like to stock my 29 with the following:4 peppered cory cats, 1 BN pleco, 3 apistogramma borelli, and 4 swordtails. but can i keep more than one male swordtail(silly part) and more than one male apistogramma borelli(or badis badis; opinions on temperment differences?) in a 29 gallon tank? i have heard yes and no on the swordtails, so i would like just facts please and thank you.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Personally I would say either do the swordtails or the apistos. swords can grow very large and aggressive in the case of the males. they take up a lot of room cuz the adults can easily get 3"+. if they do not have enough room the swords will get skittish and will either jump out if they have the open tank chance or will continuously crash and jolt around the tank hurting themselves....
If you were to devote the tank to swords then you can probably get 4 females and one male. once the male mates you really dont need him cuz all he will do is annoy the crap out of all of your females. two males will be x2 the stress lol :p so just go with one male.

I cannot give advice on the apistos though as I have never kept them, sorry :(
However I think those two groups need different pH requirements, no? the apistos prefer acidic pH while I know that the swords would only thrive in a very alkaline pH...

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
thank you so much. i will go with swords then. what would happen if i had no females and 2 males? just curious.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
You can totally have just 2 males, then you don't get overrun wit ADORABLE fry (I ♥ fry)
yep swordies and galaxy rasboras can coexist, they are both peaceful, BUT I do agree with paperdog9 though, I would add to you current schools rather than add more. In the long run, it will look better.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
ok, i was going to put the swordtails and celestal pearl danios[looked it up ;-)] in the 29.
i was planning on building up the schools, i was just trying to get enough money to do it.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
thank you orange cones.
can any of you guys or gals think of a colorful schooling fish that is not red? thank you all so much for your help.