Hazzzy water and dust like particles in water..

Mar 8, 2010
HI friends,

I have a 3 Feet tank, And I have Tinfoil barbs (4 Pair), Rosy Barbs (1 Pair) and 1 Molly. I need to clean my tank every week. The water becomes hazy and some times reddish in colour. Can any one suggest me what can I do to get my water clean and clear...

And I would like to know if the water needs to be changed every week? Or the longer period the water is kept in aquarium, More its good for health?

I read some articles that when there are not enough bacteria in your tank. And when the cycle (Nitrogen cycle) is not completed, This can happen. Is that true? What do i do to keep my tank clean..

Thanks in advance.

Dec 14, 2009
England
Hello And welcome to the Forum,

Now firstly, The weekly water changes are fine, if done correctly. I say change about 25% of the water with fresh, dechlorinated water. What filter do you have? and do you have driftwood,mopani wood in your tank? as this *may be the reason for the reddish colour.

How long has the tank been running? did you cycle the tank for a few weeks before adding any fish to it?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Welcome to the tank.

First a few questions: I'm assuming you didn't cycle the tank before you put the fish in - how long after set-up did you start adding fish? Do you test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and pH? Also, the numbers of your fish are somewhat confusing - by 4 pair of tinfoil barbs, do you mean you have 4 tinfoil barbs, or 8 in total? Finally, what is your cleaning regime (i.e, how much water, do you treat the tapwater before you put it in, etc).

The articles your read are absolutely correct, it sounds like a bacterial bloom caused by high levels of ammonia, nitrite etc, and an undeveloped bacterial colony in the filter.

Tinfoil barbs grow to be very large and aren't suitable for most home tanks, they grow to about 40cm or more.

If would be useful if you could post the details of your tank, so volume of water, filter type, decor/plants etc, and test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if you do in fact test for it.

Mar 8, 2010
HI Jamie.

I do change the water, keeping old 20 percent inside only. I am using a UG filter in my tank. I had driftwood earlier in my tank. But i have removed it.. I saw much change in the redness of the water.

One more thing i would like to tell. My fishes do quarell so much.. Many of them died quarelling. I lost scat and angels just because they used to fight.

The tank has never been stable for me. My fishes keep on dying one after other. I dont know whats cycling of tank.. What do i do know....

Tank is not more then 6 months..

Hello And welcome to the Forum,

Now firstly, The weekly water changes are fine, if done correctly. I say change about 25% of the water with fresh, dechlorinated water. What filter do you have? and do you have driftwood,mopani wood in your tank? as this *may be the reason for the reddish colour.

How long has the tank been running? did you cycle the tank for a few weeks before adding any fish to it?

Mar 8, 2010
HI misterking....

I am just new to the tank.. I never had a tank before. My shop keeper told me to keep the tank idle for 24 hours before new fish could be added. I dont have any instruments to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level.

I have 8 tinfoil albino, 2 rosy barbs and just one molly.

I am very new to have a tank. So i dont know what treatment is needed for the water...

Can u please explain and help.

Thanks again

Welcome to the tank.

First a few questions: I'm assuming you didn't cycle the tank before you put the fish in - how long after set-up did you start adding fish? Do you test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and pH? Also, the numbers of your fish are somewhat confusing - by 4 pair of tinfoil barbs, do you mean you have 4 tinfoil barbs, or 8 in total? Finally, what is your cleaning regime (i.e, how much water, do you treat the tapwater before you put it in, etc).

The articles your read are absolutely correct, it sounds like a bacterial bloom caused by high levels of ammonia, nitrite etc, and an undeveloped bacterial colony in the filter.

Tinfoil barbs grow to be very large and aren't suitable for most home tanks, they grow to about 40cm or more.

If would be useful if you could post the details of your tank, so volume of water, filter type, decor/plants etc, and test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if you do in fact test for it.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
The tinfoil barbs are highly aggressive and territorial, could you rehome them and repalce with a much nore peaceful fish.
The LAST thing the OP should be thinking about right now is replacing any fish. Aside from that tinfoil barbs are very peaceful fish, their size is the issue, NOT aggression. prakash8820, Please don't add any new fish into the tank.

prakash8820, it looks like as if some very bad advice has been given by the person at the store and I'm glad you've come to this forum. Unfortunately, it looks like the advise given by the person at the store has led to you missing some of the most important (and most expensive) parts of the fish tank.

Firstly, an undergravel filter alone is not sufficient to filter your tank and this will make your problems worse. You should invest in an internal filter, the sort that attaches to the side of the tank. A good filter for your tank would be the Fluval 3 or 4 plus.

Secondly, I'm guessing as you don't know what additives to use the water in the tank has come straight from the tap. Tap water has lots of additives, namely chlorine, that are harmful for the fish. Therefore, a dechlorinator (found in a bottle at your store) should be added in the appropriate amount to remove the chlorine and make the water safer for fish.

24 hours is not an adequate amount of time to leave the tank, and it shouldn't be "inactive". To make the water safe for fish, you should go through a process called cycling, which, when done properly, can take less than a month to complete. It'll take too long for me to explain the whole process of the cycle, and as you already have fish in there you'll have to do what we call a "fish-in" cycle. It's not ideal but it'll have to do for now, and I suggest you read the appropriate title (fish cycle) in this web page:

Cycling a Tank

The science isn't all there but it's probably the simplest explanation you'll find, and the easiest to follow.

To do a cycle you'll need to test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The best way of doing this is using a liquid dropper test, such as the API master test kit (my personal favourite). The instructions are very helpful in using the product properly.

Finally, you don't need to take out quite that much water. A simple 25% water change a week is completely adequate.

If you could possibly post the exact dimensions of your tank (height, length, depth/width) I can quickly work out the volume of your tank.

I hope this has helped and isn't too much of an information overload - but this has happened to almost everyone new to fishkeeping. From now on, I'd strongly advise you ask any questions on this forum rather than in the pet store. On here you'll find a large amount of experts who have been in the hobby for years and will give you honest advise based on what's best for you and your fish.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
If there are fish in the tank while cycling, more frequent water changes are necessary. Invest in a the test kit, the API master test kit is what most of us use. You should probably change 50% of the water daily as long as there is ammonia showing on the test.

Mar 8, 2010
Hey hey hey!!!! Cool down buddies.. I feel I am in battle field with lots of firing of guns around me...

Let me take up one by one....

1 Jammie - I had gold fish at first... They all died. I had 2 Sharks. They died too.. I had angels - they died too. And I had Scats tooo - They died even.. The reason for death for most of the fishes was they all were quarelling. Now I have this Tinfoils since last two weeks... And I have never seen them aggressive, fighting or even running one behind others.. And so I am happy with Barbs.. Tinfoil and Rosy barbs... So forget about changing the fishes....

2. Coming to the point of misterking. I have read about the nitrogen cycle for aquarium. As stated on net.. If the nitrogen cycle is not getting complete. Then the fishes will die for sure. That happened with my Goldies.. Now i have much stable and mortality rate is low. Again I read that there are some bacterias which convert this nitrogen to harmless ammonia from nitrite.. If i am not wrong. Any ways.. I again read that some companies do manufacture bottles with this bacteria. Which u can drop in directly. No need to wait one month.. Again I am neither getting this bottles. Nor am I getting the ammonia kit that u all have recommended here.. So thats critical now... But again I will search.. In case any body Indian here.. Please let me know if they can send me...

3. I want to know if there could be any specific reason for quarelling. As I read on net.. It can be territory defining.. But then I cant afford to get my fishes killed by others. Just to define a small aquaria as there terrritory. I removed my artificial plants. Corels and Wood reef from Aquarium just to give them some space..

Lastly my water gets so hazzy and so much of particles are visible inside the water that I need to keep only 20 percent rest i have to remove.. Other wise I feel I am giving them unhealthy climate and they wont survive anyhow.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately we've given you the reasons why your tank is hazy, and there's not much else we can advise until you take this on board. I suggested all the things I suggested because they're vital to responsibly maintain a healthy aquarium. It also sounds like you've lost a lot of fish in the past due to the same problem, and bad water conditions which are causing the hazy water add to aggression because the fish become stressed. May I ask why you won't be buying the stuff I suggested?

Oh and the "bacteria in a bottle" stuff is a waste of money. It doesn't work so don't buy it.

As I said though.. until you take on board what has been said and follow our advise, you're just going to keep losing fish. Sorry to be blunt about it.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
So you want to know what to do about hazy water? It really depends on why it is hazy and one of the way's we can help is knowing the water parameters. What kind of filter are you using? What is the maintenance schedule of the filter?
He mentions above that he only uses an undergravel filter. I strongly suspect water parameters causing a bacterial bloom.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I may be missing something, but are you using well water or tap water? And except for the driftwood, you haven't mentioned the substrate - gravel or sand and was it well washed? And what about plants and other decor?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Personally I would just follow Misterking's advice. Not only is it sound advice but its about the easier way to stop your fish from dying.

Also please don't feel like your being attack....everyone on this forum is just super passionate about fish and wants you to be successful plus keep your fish happy and healthy!! All fish keepers have to start somewhere!!

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
2. The bacteria in a bottle is absolutely useless unless it is refrigerated 100% of the time, and you can't be sure if it was. You still need to cycle your tank. There is no such thing as an instant cycle. Companies want you to think there is so that you will buy their products, and then buy more fish when yours die. You NEED a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Liquid tests kits are absolutely necessary for keeping fish. You cannot keep fish alive without a liquid test kit, as you have seen from the death of your many fish. As I tell everyone, test kits are as important to fish keeping as the tank itself!
3. You need a lot of plants, rocks and decorations, even if they are fake. Plants ease the aggression by giving fish a place to hide.

Mar 8, 2010
Thanks guys.. This was a good help from all of you.. I am just planning to purchase a filter that you suggested or something similar to it.. I hope that does work.. What do u say about shark... Shall i put it in my tank.. Do they survive long? And lastly what do they grow very fast?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I would plug any combination of fish you may be thinking of into aqadvisor. It's a very helpful site which can give you an idea.
But I believe sharks in general need very large tanks. Your tank is 3 feet but how many gallons? (I didn't notice it in earlier posts)