210G Build-Up Thread

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
We ran into a big problem yesterday. After running the halides for our desired length, the tank made it to 91 degrees. NOT GOOD. Needless to say, the chiller is on its way and will be installed by Friday, until then, no halides. *thumbsups

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
I just realized that your foxface was about the size of your chromis. It will be awesome to watch him grow. Last week my lfs had blue & yellow tangs that were about an inch in length, I was so tempted but I knew that my tank won't be right for them in the long run.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, after some big headaches, the tank is where we want it.

1. Powerhead added needed to be changed so that it didn't suck from refugium. In the event of a power outage, this would have back-siphoned the tank...about 120 gallons.

2. Powerhead and Mag-Drive (for chiller) were added with brass fittings (bad idea, we weren't thinking), so they had to be changed out. This was a pain because the chiller was fully primed, and I had to hold my thumbs over the tubes while my dad put the new fittings on.

3. Air bubbles come out of nowhere. We added some foam to the refugium in the trouble areas, problem solved.

4. Cooling fans had to be added to the canopy, that was easy.

5. LFS guys did a crappy job putting the UV sterilizer up, that was fixed quickly.

6. Slow down refugium flow. That was difficult, but solved with a ball-valve.

Overall, it was a real pain, but we got it there after putting 2-3 gallons on the floor.

The tank is now sitting at 78, after two days of slowly bringing it down (a degree every few hours). The chiller is really nice. Its a CurrentUSA Prime In-line Tower (1/3hp).

LiveAquaria actually sent us 13 B/G Chromis while we paid for 12, but one of them died today. It was pretty roughed up, missing scales all on its side. This was predicted, the estimate was if we ordered 12, we'd end up with atleast 10. So now we're at 12 chromis and the foxface.

The stocking list has cooled down after looking at the tank. Most of the tangs have been removed and have become:

Powder Blue
Yellow
Desjardini Sailfin
Yellow-Eye Kole (maybe)

The tank looks great. Especially after this much work gets put into it. I'm glad I could share it with you guys. As my mom put it, "The only thing worth paying the LFS for was the $500 delivery charge."

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Wow, today was certainly interesting. We basically transferred my stock to his tank. We took over: Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty Angel, Goldstripe Maroon Clown Pair, Snowflake Moray Eel, 2 Turbo Snails.

Yellow Tang: Netted, BAD idea....her acanthus got caught for a few seconds, we had to hold her with one hand and slowly take the net off of it. She has shown the lead chromis and foxface who will be boss. *SUPERSMIL

Coral Beauty: Flopped around a bit, the tang tried slicing her during acclimation though. She chases the chromis a bit too. She LOVES the tonga mazes.

Clown Pair: Handled with a cup instead of a net, that went well. They swim together more now. They've thought of checking out the hammer coral.

Snowflake Eel: Freak accident, this went bad, but he's okay. My dad had him in a net while my brother was bringing a large tupperware over the net, but the eel shot up, knocked the lid HARD, the tupperware+1/2galSW went flying, the eel landed on my bed, slid to the floor, and was going to attempt going under my bed. Luckily, my dad picked up a pitcher that we used, scooped him up, and then pressed the tupperware lid over the pitcher, then we just filled that with some water. NOTES: He is STRONG, and weighs about 1lb. He definitely likes all the new places to explore. He defintely looks bigger on my bedroom floor than in a tank. :p

The chromis now school more, trying to seek strength in numbers, which is more appealing to us. The foxface...well...he just kinda hangs out, eats, and swims out in the open a bunch.

We went up to the LFS, I got good news when we did. I start working next Saturday at noon! :cool: We dropped off the 3" 3-Stripe Damsel, and got $1.50 for it. While we were there we picked up some pearl branching hammer! The tank will be left alone for a month now to let things calm down, then some more stuff will be added.

Without further ado, pictures...

Snowflake Eel (as my dad calls it, "The Snake")

Euphyillia anchora (Hammer Coral)

Size comparison shot of the big boys on campus..

Male Maroon

Last edited: