another step by step account

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i put a piece of LR from my tank into the Q tank--along with a hermit crab...this morning i saw what appeared to be the body of the hermit crab on the bare bottom this morning--then the shell moved, and out poked my newly molted hermit crab...it scared the hell outta me, but i'm glad he's all right...whew

cyano is still a challenge, but i'm now using 100% RO water from the Penguin/Glacier machines outside of the supermarket...1 trip every week is getting a little annoying--an RO unit is definetly looking good right about now

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
another update--today i dropped $48 at my favorite lfs--$29 on an interesting purple leather cabbage coral, $5 each on two loose mushrooms (both spotted), and $5 on 2 astrea snails, one of which i believe to be dead before arriving home
i don't know if i've said this yet, but for christmas i got a 2x65 watt orbit pc fixture :) i've begun to notice things that i'd have never seen with normal flourescent, such as featherdusters and tiny bugs (i doubt they are pods)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
very good sir!

FYI: the first one's scientific name is Sinularia dura, the second Discosoma or Actinodiscus (depends on who you ask)

ive heard good things about those orbits...what light combination is it in there? one 10000k and one actinic?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if they have some rubble attached to them then you can super glue them down, otherwise that isnt usually very succesful. what i would do is try to use bridal veil to sort of tie them down to a piece of LR for a week and they should anchor themselves. another option is to get a plastic cup and cut holes through the side to allow water to pass...fill the bottom with some rubble (we are talking 1/4in sze minimum) and put the mushrooms in the cup for a few days