another step by step account

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you got it: patience is the key. the lighting deal is a no rush thing; crabs and snails don't need it any more than fish do.

is the skimmer outlet tube in the water? or is it dropping water from above and back into the tank. if you can arrange the outlet so that it flows into the tank not drops into the tank it will cut down the noist a lot.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i purchased two astrea snails on saturday in an attempt to keep down a small amount of hair algae
i believe one has since died because it has not moved from its spot on the bottom of the tank since i saw it last at 6:30 am today...it appears to have a small shell stuck in it's shell opening

the other is on the glass--its "foot" is not flat on the glass--it is on the glass in a crescent moon shape

so my question is: what can i do? what have i done wrong? i assume that because my substrate consists of crushed coral (which many have suggested to change to sand) might be a factor in the possible demise of one of the snails

i would attach pictures, but i dont have any time to do so right now

i thank you in advance for responding...

i also added 10 dwarf blue leg hermits on saturday--they are very active and immediately began scouring every inch of the live rock, eating whatever they found desirable...i have also witnessed several change shells--pretty cool

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the snails should not die from the crushed coral, is it possible the acclimation process was not slow enough?

the little hard thing is the snails protective thingy...when they retreat into their shell they close that little trap door over themselves

i dont think there is anything you can do, assuming your water parameters all check out

as far as the crabs, im glad they are doing their thing...hopefully you provided them some empties to move into over time

did you get the skimmer issue resolved?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i havent done anything about the skimmer noise yet...
i can add the clown in the Q tank to the main tank on monday...
i have confirmed that one snail has died, and the other one is not looking to good as of this afternoon (i found him upside down)

i asked about the snails at reefcentral and they said i might have a problem with my water (like copper via the water) or a bad batch of snails...

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Hmm...not necesarily. AMquel does a pretty good job. Just make sure to test phosphates and keep them low. I would recommend calling your city to see whats in the water.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i added the clown to the main display tank yesterday, after being in quarantine for 4 weeks...he is doing pretty well and definetly adds color to the tank...the lr still hasn't hit anywhere near maximum coloration
there's no time for me to post a pic, so i'll just leave it at that

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
btw, i tried talking my mom into getting me a pendant style metal halide fixture...i had her until she saw the price...darn

i also looked into T5 HO's, but the price woulda been about the same as MH
back to plan A (PC's)