Fishless Cycling - Everything You Wanted to know...

grazhopr

Small Fish
Jan 19, 2004
Visit site
After reading thru the posts, I noticed some degree of anxiety about the amount of time it takes for a full cycle to finish, and it also looks like everyone has had somehow different results/experience. Just to give a different perspective: the perspective of patience (and god knows you have to be patient if you start a saltwater tank - too much money at stake! :eek: ).
Let's remember that the purpose of fishless cycling is to protect your fish from being stressed and eventually start with a sick tank. It's both healthy for the creatures your taking care of and also for yourself (start off with a neat, healthy tank). It will keep you from going thru a very frustrating experience....
It is by no means a way of cutting down the amount of time you'll wait to introduce your first fish. The key to a successful system is patience (I know! It sounds hard! but you'll not regret it on the long run).
If you're patient enough (and you'll not regret it), you can also do fishless cycling by dumping some fish food in the tank, let it sit and forget about it for at least a week. This can be a way of avoiding the hassle of doing daily water tests (which in my opinion can create more stress and anxiety in the individual). The food decaying process will trigger a cycle process. Once you test your water after a while (maybe two weeks) and ammonia starts to decrease and nitrites start to increase, you may syphon the remaining detritus, if you will. How much food? Just enough (it only takes a spark to start a fire...). It may not be a one week cycle record, but the purpose is the same. In the meantime, you can read about the fish you want to keep, the substrate you plan to lay. Plants you want to buy. Lighting requirements, fertilization. Husbandry, etc.
You may find that 5-6 weeks were extremely useful to feel confident that you're system has a low chance of failure, now that you're more educated.

Just a thought I wanted to share folks! ;)
That's sort of my plan if I decide to start a FW tank.

*celebrate

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
You have made some excellant points grazhopr! Thank you!

One reason that I like using ammonia is that I can add enough to the tank to get 5ppm ammonia. Matter a fact, I can add more than enough ammonia to the tank to ensure that I have a huge biofilter that I can add the tanks stocking capacity without having to risk some of the things you mentioned. It gives me more 'control' shall we say over the size of bacteria colony this way. It may take 4-6 weeks and that is really hard to do with your very first tank but as you do mention, its definitly worth it!

grazhopr

Small Fish
Jan 19, 2004
Visit site
I know what you're saying. I can´t say I never felt the rush of getting things done quick in the past. But I hope that at least a few people will take my advice and try it. I´m with you 100%. Setting up the first, the second, the third tank is always full of excitement, and patience may never be our ally.
I like to think, that there is some sort of natural balance that is only achieved with tank´s own maturity. But on the other hand, it´s good to know we can also use the ammonia trick ;) :D just in case...... hehe

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think adding ammonia is not different than throwing in some fish food. Adding the ammonia and forgetting about the tank...or adding fish food or a couple of dead shrimp to the tank and forgetting to it are virtually the same. The difference is that if you want to do those water tests every day, its kind of fun ;) (ok maybe I'm a dork like that) If you're the type that thinks of those water tests as stressful and just prolonging when you actually get fish....then don't test every day...test once a week...or twice a week, however often you want to.

BUT I do agree that patience is the key to this hobby :) AND adding some food or other organic substance to the tank instead of ammonia will work...it will take longer...it will not create a very large bioload...but it will work :)

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Adding fish food and adding ammonia are not quite the same thing! Close but not quite! Fish food takes time to decay, ammonia is ready to be consumed therefore when talking about wanting to cycle asap, ammonia would be the route to go as it does not need time to decay. But other than that, if you have the time, you can add fish food! LOL!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I do NOT reccomend using food decay (shrimp or other) for a fishless cycle due to the following reasons.

1. Its is more expensive to use food for ammonia than bottled ammonia in general.
2. Old food will likely cloud the water more, and leaves a mess on the bottom of the tank.
3. Its harder to gauge the ammonia of ammonia (levels) added using rotting food.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with you guys...(after rereading my post) didn't mean to make it sound like it would be how I would do it or that its the easiest way to do it...just that its possible.

Apr 14, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Hey! I just started my fishless cycle a week ago exactly. I tested my ammonia before adding more and my ammonia level was at 8 ppm so I did a 25% water change and tested it again. Still at 8 ppm. I did another 25% water change, still 8 ppm, eventually I did an almost 100% water change and still my ammonia level was at 8 ppm. :rolleyes: Now you are probably thinking I am a complete bone head. If it was a new treated water that was at 8 ppm, what would a 100% or even a 25% water change do! Well I decided to let it cycle for a week and the ammonia is still at 8 ppm and I have not added any ammonia. My bio wheel and filter are intact and the temp has been ranging between 78 -84 degrees F, we've been having strange spring weather so it has been hard to keep the temp constant. Should I just let the tank continue to cycle and not add anymore ammonia unless the ppm drops below 5? I have checked my Nitrite level and it has remained at zero so far. How should I handle the cycle from here?

Thank you for your advice!

AJ the Rookie
*celebrate

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Let me get this straight... whenever you test your water, you are getting 8 ppm, with no fluctuation? Have you tried testing the water straight out of the tap? Perhaps you could try a test before you treat it and then after (my hunch is that both will still read 8 ppm).

I'm thinking the problem could be with the test kit you are using. What type/brand is it?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Does your test kit have a maximum reading of 8ppm on ammonia? If so, it could be that you have way more than 8ppm in there, and you still haven't gotten it down enough.

I would try another water change and see if it brings it down. As TurbineSurgeon says, test your tapwater for ammonia, just in case that's where it's coming from. If it is, you will need to add an ammonia detoxifier every time you do water changes.

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Its most likely chloramines in your tap water. When you add dechlor, it will get a false ammonia reading on your kit. A quick test to be sure is use direct tap, add dechlor and test for ammonia. You can also call the city where you get your water from and inquire whether chloramines are used!

HTH

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
thats ok...at least you know that your tap water has 1ppm in it...did you take your tank water to the LFS (Local Fish Store) and have it tested...or is it still 8ppm?

May 3, 2004
Visit site
I am trying this fishless cycle as my first attempt at using cheap fish to cycle ended in dead fish. This is my third day and I have added 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia in the first 2 days to bring level to 5ppm. On the second day water turned cloudy and gravel was coated in white powdery substance. I stirred up gravel and filter seems to be improving water clarity. Is water supposed to turn cloudy? So, I continue to add the same amount of ammonia until ammonia and nitrites read zero?

Unrelated, treated tap water has a noticeable level of nitrates, do not have exact amount. Is this normal?
:rolleyes:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A lot of times your tap water will have some ammonia/nitrites/nitrates...that is normal. Hopefully its not too high A, because you drink it eww, and b, because its difficult to work that into your tank. Some people who have nitrates in their tap water have good success with heavily planted tanks to try and absorb some of the excess.

white powdery substance doesn't sound good...are you sure that the ammonia you got doesn't have anything in it? When you shake the bottle it shouldn't foam (some bubbles are normal...but they shouldn't stick around...no foam) A lot of new tanks will be cloudy...so if it was just cloudy thats fine. I'm a little worried about the gunk though.

How long were your fish in there before they died the first time around? Is it possible that its just a byproduct of having them in there? (ie fish waste etc)

Since there aren't any fish in there right now and probably wont be for awhile, the cloudy water isn't too big of a problem. Its possible that with a large water change/gravel vac it will clear itself up. No water changes during cycle though...so you'll have to be patient.

I would focus on making sure that the 'white powdery substance' isn't something harmful to the fish.