My New Crays :)

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Per BV's request, here are a couple of pics so you can better judge their size. They were really interested in those pennies!

Here's a full tank shot with a penny and quarter against the glass on the left side.

And here are the crays

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
OMG..those things are tiny and they have very nice coloration. If you dont mind telling how much did they cost. I have to admit I have a hard time looking at crays as anything other than bait but the more I see on here the more interested I become in keeping them.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Right now, the temp is 78 degrees. I found another person that has eight pairs of them, and has had several batches of babies, and he keeps the temp at 75 degrees. So I think I am going to bump the temp down a little bit.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
LOL, I wish! They aren't cheap, but that's because there is such a limited supply of them. Demand far exceeds supply at this point.

The wild form of these crays are normally brown, and the orange is a trait that some of them get. But the orange ones don't survive in the wild because the bright color makes them easy prey. The brown ones are cheaper, but you will get mainly brown crays, with a few orange. In order to get 100% orange babies, you need two orange parents, which you can only get from a breeder. Hopefully, once more people start breeding them, the supply will keep up with demand, and they won't be so expensive!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
They are lava rocks from Las Vegas. I bought a flat-rate box of them from a guy on Planted Tank, and they've worked out pretty well. It was $20 total, and it was all of those rocks, plus a few more that I have in my 20 gallon long.