My new Saltwater tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2005
fishchaser, first off i did just register with this forum but i have been dealing with sw for quite sometime but recently i have taken on the challange of a 60G RIP with a home made sump. i have done countless hours of research tank and sump design and required equipment. with my understanding first off getting live sand from someone elses tank can be a bad idea expecially since you dont know what problems they could have had with their tank no matter what they say. since i am thinking about it do you plan on getting more live rock. about the filtering of your tank if the sw tank is done properly a mechanical filter is not required. about skimmers i have found out that the rated capacity for a skimmer is overrated and for best results you should take the total G of your tank and multiply it by 2 and that is the min rating you should go with, you dont want to be skimpy with skimmers. i have a turboflotor 1000 multi it is rated for 260G and it is working great. just some food for thought.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The upside of getting livesand from someones elses tank is that it can be absolutely loaded with life.
The downside is that it can just be a stinking mess, and also if they've treated with meds, esp. copper in the past you could introduce a problem (however if they have ever treated with copper the live sand is not likely to be very good or lively).

I really wouldn't worry aobut it, but it's just not going to be a big deal helping with your cycling either - what's the difference , you have x pounds of live rock in there anyway, an ample source of bacteria.

Try this for a pretty good link re: the merits of various skimmers...
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/protein_skimmer_impressions.htm

While you get people who do like prisms in small tank (mine does work ok) you almost never get anyway getting good news from their seaclone.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Fishchaser. Try not to get too discouraged by the abundance and variety of advice you are being given. I've learned in a short time that there are several different ways of setting up and maintaining a salt water tank, though some are destined to enjoy more success than others. The method most here use will probably give you the most successful stress free system, BUT that doesn't mean you have to follow to the letter. Find what works for you and I'm sure that in time, your tank and your methodology will soon fall in line with everyone elses. My tank, was and still is very much like the one you are starting (in fact yours is more in line than mine is because you already have more live rock). In my 90 gallon tall tank I use a fluval 404 with a bunch of ceramic media in it, a phosphate absorbing pouch and the sponges, an underpowered protein skimmer and an emperor 400 containing carbon, and am enjoying an interesting, relatively headache free saltwater aquarium.
I would agree that thise damsels are not the best choice. If you're going to cycle with fish (which I selfishly did due to impatience) I would go with blue/green chromis. If you can exchange the freebies you got for Chromis, I really would. They may be okaty now, but they are going to give you such headaches later on.
Anyway, keep your chin up and welcome to saltwater.

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
thx guys 1 of my damsels has dies already i am goin to now buy anything more till the tank is cycled. the sand i got didnt mess up the watere or anything and it seems alright the filter seems good and the skimmer is fine it needs to break in before it start to collect all the crap but theres literall none in there right now my rock looks very good has many different things on it and is fine my other fish are doin good and im goin to keep it like this for a while i know you guys want me to change it but im goin to keep it like this until i have a problem the only other thing i might do is add some more live rock ill try to keep an update of the tank and some pics soon

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
any trace of ammonia can kill though. any pics? im curious on what a tank of this size looks like. i usualy always see big and small tanks not medium sized ones.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Has the skimmer pulled anything out yet - it should have started by now. It usually takes a couple of days for some stuff on the plastic to disappear, and then it takes a little longer for a thin layer of organics to cover the inside and help the bubbles climb up the sides.

Is it evnen producing a decent mass of bubbles yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.