Picture Time (56k Warning)

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
1979camaro said:
err...no under the tank shots occfan but if you want me to take some i suppose i could
naw man its ok, I just have always been fascinated by plumming and everything that goes into tanks. I mean I love the finished product and just watching the fish but my favorite part of any aquarium is the setup and all the plumbing and such that goes into making it run.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
OCCFan023 said:
naw man its ok, I just have always been fascinated by plumming and everything that goes into tanks. I mean I love the finished product and just watching the fish but my favorite part of any aquarium is the setup and all the plumbing and such that goes into making it run.
I'm going to second that. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one ;)

The 75 is finally gonna get set up this week as soon as we finish painting one more wall. I still have to finish painting the black background on and plumb the sump. I have no idea what it should look like underneath and no idea what to do inside the sump. In need of inspiration...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
looking good Camaro, just got a couple questions for ya

Did you install the baffles or did you purchase a sump?

On the return line from the mag to the overflow return how wide is your return line? Also is it pvc to the overflow return or just vinyl tubing?

Last thing is on the closed loop system how do ou like those return U tube things? Also I assume they are hooked up to vinyl tubing, have you ever had any clogging problems with the tubing as opposed to a pvc pipe? I was going to drill holes and use pvc to maximize flow from a mag 12 but if those return lines are working good for you maybe I should just try those.

O any by the way your sump water is damn choppy! :D

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the baffles are self installed...just glass cut to size siliconed in

The ID on the return is 3/4in...i used reinforced vinyl tubing but if i were to do it again i think i would go with PVC...not sure why, other than that i like the security of glued/screwed in piping rather than pressure fit with hose clamps

I don't actually have a closed loop, just two pumps in the sump to split the return three ways (two through the SCWD and one through the main return)...but if i had it to do again i would go closed loop. The little hang over the tank U tube things are fine with me. I drilled anti-siphon holes in them just like i did with the return line and i haven't had any problem with clogging

this was my first big reef tank (20 nano before) and so it was also my first experience plumbing a tank. As I am thinking about this now, there are a lot of things i would do differently if i were doing it again but it isn't worth the effort/expense to change it at this point...kind of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idea

as far as your mag 12, I would at least run it through an SCWD if you are going to go with the vinyl tubing...one of my major complaints is that it is tough to get good low level flow through the tank...one of those things i would do differently is solve that problem by adding more return line exits lower in the tank somehow...

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I will probably go with pvc (I find it easier and more pleasing to the eye than vinyl tubing (idk why just personal preference.) I never though about using a SCWD because I didnt want to really bother with doing the neccessary connections between the vinyl and the pvc, but its still an option; instead I was just going to use a pvc T as a way to break to return.