29 Gal Build Log : My First SW Tank

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Live sand did not arrive today . Sucks . tommrow for sure then .

Gona place Final order Tonight *BOUNCINGS

I have a questen thou ?

I have some type of corals or something growing along with about half dozen feather dusters . (at lest what i think) . Is there a hitchikers guide for this with pictures and description ? I searched but cant find these guys ?

What do Baby feather duster look like ? all this stuff is small ? i also have something thats has a small stalk with white tips growing one way . all too small to take a pic of ?

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Mini Update !!!

Well i bought the rest of stuff i needed and more . *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS

Marina Nylon Net 3"

Big Al's Foam Insert-1.5" x 2.25" x 4.75"

Penn Plax Suction Cup Heater Holder-2 pk

Penn Plax Therma-Temp Floating Thermometer With Suction Cup

Intake U-Tube F/Aquaclear 70/300/110/500 (Mine has a hair line crack caused mirco bubles )

Mag-Float Magnetic Aquarium Glass Cleaner-Small

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit

Hydor Koralia 2 - 600GPH

Current USA Orbit 30" 2 x 65 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/2 Lunar Lights

Will be here next mondy or tuesday. live sand will be here tomrrow.

The MODED AquaClear 500 Fuge : So i have a place to put the cheato when it gets here .

I slowed down the flow by adding pieces of foam to the intake or the Aquaclear . Works good , and serves as mechanial filter to . i can change it twice a week or more .

I am not gona put any sand in it . instead iam going just put some live rock in it . ( and do like IdunnoWhy did ) Great Tip *thumbsup2

Last edited:

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Great work on the Fuge!! *thumbsups

What type of lighting are you going to use over it? I ended up doing a DIY lighting project for mine, but I know I've seen smaller clip on lighting that would have been alot easier to just buy instead LOL.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
I just added a sticky with links to visual ID sites for hitchhikers. :) You should be able to find out at least roughly what it is.

Thanks That confrimed i have feather dusters . but i cant fina what anything else is . Ill have to wait till they grow and get bigger so i can take a pic .

Live Sand is Here !!!
It is very fine sand ...

It resorted to this : :mad: They would just fall out somethimes . Not anymore !:eek:

I have a Question ? I bought this light for the refuge . its a regular clip on incandenct socket fixture ..

So i bought some Genral Electric Energy smart Smoft white 20 watt sprial flourcent bulbs . But as you can see in the pics the light looks slight yellowish ? is this the bulb or the white reflector ?

A pic with flash off : Bulb mentioned above on :

Will this grow marcoagle ? and Pods and good for a Fuge ? :confused:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Live Rock Update

Ya I cant Beleive how cheap i can get live Figi rock . and its loaded with life !!! ONLY $2.99 A Pound .Only have to buy 10+ Pounds *twirlysmi

I got 11.3 Pounds today was like $35 Bucks *thumbsup2

I also found a Tonga Branch in there live rock tank. ( which all was partially cured , They get fresh uncured ever tuesday they sell alot b/c of the price .)

It also had a small hawian feather duster on it and a free snail ( Oval borwnish shell with a red top ? .) all for only $2.99 a Pound :p

Here's some pics:

after 10 mins of aquascaping . About 40 pounds of rock now . and feater duster poping up all over . seen pods too . *PEACE!*

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Looks great. With exception of your power source though. You need to run those plugs into a GFI breaker plug with drip loops. The setup you have looks like an accident waiting to happen.

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Looks great. With exception of your power source though. You need to run those plugs into a GFI breaker plug with drip loops. The setup you have looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Please explain what you mean by this ? GFI Breaker ? Thanks for the Heads Up

Are you saying replace the outlet with one with a gfi built in . Like the one in the bathroom ?

Both those grouned plugs go to surge portectors strips.

I serched the drip loop . I can mount the power strip on the wall that should work . So the cords curl at the bottom , and the strip will be higher .

Last edited:

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Please explain what you mean by this ? GFI Breaker ? Thanks for the Heads Up

Are you saying replace the outlet with one with a gfi built in . Like the one in the bathroom ?
Yup just like your bathroom outlet.

Even though your going through power strips, I'd still opt for the better outlet. If you rent you could purchase the outlet and have your landlord install it for you maybe? (Or offer to pay him to have it installed professionally)

I myself don't have the GFI outlets either, I have purchased them, but just haven't put them in yet. Lorna is absolutely right, and maybe I should put mine in this weekend :eek:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Ya iam pretty sure i can just do it myself. ill go to lowes and buy one . And a new Plate cover as well . gona buy some 3m foam doulbe sided tape to use on mounting the power strips . or should i buy velcro to mount them ? For the drip loop .

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the snap may very well be a pistol especially if theres nothing else in there right now wich would be pretty cool ...... as far as a cleanup crew id start with a few snails (its good to get a variety) so a few of each, if you want hemits id only get like 2-3 and then you want to wait and see how that goes... you may need more but add them as you need them ;) a little further down the road you can add a shrimp