TRe's 82g build

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Lookin good TRe, why not go with a closed loop? You allready have the saw, just drill a few more holes in the bottom and run return lines up that way you won't have the powerheads in the tank! That's what I would do lol

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
finally! ive got some of the rock in and ill prolly pick up the sand tommorow ;) btw every where you see thats just unfished plywood will be covered with granite tile to match the counter tops in my kitchen ... the side with the 14" overhang is the kitchen side and it will get a few bar stools for my viewing pleasure :D

Last edited:

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I like the over hang on the stand. I am planning on that same idea with my new stand but make the over hang on the side and place a QT Tank / Frag Tank there. What did you use under the tank, styrofoam? Lookin good.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea i used styrofoam under the tank... in rimless tanks its recomended that you use styrofoam under the tank...FYI with a regular tank with the bottom brace the styrofoam can actually do more harm than good

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the tank is a little more than 3/4 full, i added 30lbs of sand cause i was an idiot and thats all i bought... ill buy another 30lb bag tommorow on my way home from work and than i can start the aquascaping... oh yea i just ordered a AquaContoller jr + DC8 :p

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
alright havnt updated this in a little while so here it goes! the rockwork isnt final yet but i think its pretty close... one of the only flaws that i dont think i can live with is how you can see the water level... ill have to play with the canopy some to get it right :/

the kitchen side

the livingroom side

the long end

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
im using some computer case fans for cooling... 2X 80mm fans blowing out and a 120mm fan on top sucking cool air in...the fans are on opposite sides of the tank in hopes for cross ventilation... i also made an extra hole incase i wanted to add a 3rd 80mm fan (dont mind the lopsided hole :p ) oh yea and theres a a/c vent above where the fan sucking air in is so that should help keep things cool

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the T5 will be here on weds. i went with a 24" 4 bulb fixture.... also sometime this week my order from bulkreefsupply should be here with my kalk and gfo.. oh and almost forgot my ph probe for the aqua controller jr is on the way too! :p

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
heres a few pics of the sump.... the first pic is from the livingroom side. as you can see this is the "frag tank" section of my sump. you can kinda see the new T5 fixture BTW im not done with the frag rack

finally got the kalk reactor going today. you can also see the frag tank from this angle too (you can see the light a little better)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i didnt take a pic but the skimmer section but it is accessable from the kitchen side ... i didnt take any pics from that side because in order to get the sump in there i had to leave a few of the skin pieces off of the stand off including both doors and it looks a mess with wires everywhere... i plan to finished that up one of these days!