TRe's 82g build

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
thanks! still far from done tho! the lunar lights suposivly help the corals and stuff spawn but IMO thats a bunch of BS... i use them for my viewing pleasure :D thats why i got them in blue so the green or red corals glow at night... btw i only have the lunars on till like 1 am cause i figure its a waste after that lol

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
Gotcha :D. I do have a load of snails in my tank (easily 100) and they seem to only really come out when I keep the tank on a day/night cycle. At about 1am or so my entire tank walls are covered with them, then they'll bury back in the sand during the day. So you have 2 other tanks? Are those reef tanks as well? What else are you going to do to your big tank? You should post new pics soon, it's rad!

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
I bet, man! I was introduced into salt water like, "oh it's easy! People make it sound a lot harder than it really is!" :eek: WRONG! I'm DEFINITELY not setting up another tank until I've learned MUCH more about the ecosystem itself and I hesitate to introduce much more life into my current tank until I've been doing this much longer. I don't want to unintenionally kill life that could otherwise been living well in captivity in a better tank than mine. Or in the wild, like the wildlife that was native to my area because I naively introduced it into my tank. :( No corals, reefs, etc. for me! I took my anem back today until I get a replacement light. My protein skimmer I dropped off so he could look at it for me and get it working correctly. Just reading everything all you guys go through to set up your tank PRIOR to introducing rock, much less more active life like fish, is teaching me a bunch! I appreciate it! *thumbsups

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
havnt updated in a little bit so here it goes... i still have ALOT of work to be done on the build like putting the granite on counter top or putting the doors on the kitchen side and the list goes on! i still have a bunch of nice rock sitting in a brute container outside so the aquascaping will prolly change a little when i get around to it and the rest will just get tossed in the sump... one of my koralias crapped out on me so for now its a modded maxi-jet 900 and a koralia3 along with the return for flow.... i just ordered a koralia nano for the frag tank along with a few salifert test kits (cal and alk) anyways on to a few pics... i havnt played with the new camera all that much yet but im still learning so bare with me :p

nuclear green paly's (already got a few babies!)

RBTA was bleached about a month ago but it is bouncing back nicely (long story)

Kedd's reds

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
btw all that gsp you see in the tank isnt staying in there.. i plan on putting it in the frag tank till i sell/trade it but there isnt much flow in there till the new powerhead comes in the next few days so for now it is where it is! :D
EDIT: at a second glance at the pics you really cant see it all but i have ALOT of gsp! like 3 huge colonies and some frags

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Looks good as always! The nem looks pretty big.. Im supprised the tang police haven't jumped on you for having 2 tangs in a 4' tank lol.. I want to put 1 or 2 in my 75 when the time comes.. Do yourself a huge favor and get those yellow polyps out now lol

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I see you have your powerheads located on the ends aiming toward the center. I have seen a lot of other people do the same. I have mine on the back kind of in each corner aiming inward, but I cant get them to completely aim toward each other, but rather at a 45 degree angle inward. Would it make a big difference if I moved them to the ends of the tank? By the way, your pics look real nice. Water looks Very clean. I do a 25 to 30 percent water change every 2 to 3 weeks, but it just seems like it looks dirty too quick.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
hey jim - about the tangs i was only going to keep the purple tang and trade the hippo but my wife threw a fit cause weve had that fish for like 3 years lol, what ever i gave in cause i was tired of arguing about it! and about the yellow polyps belive me i know! ive had this same piece since 07... i have no problem what so ever in fragging it as needed :p

about the power heads ive seen people do it both ways... i have them both on that end of the tank because i didnt want anything blocking the view from all 3 viewable sides! ive got the 2 powerheads on that end with only the return on the other end

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Ok, I have my powerheads on back of the tank on either end aiming slightly downward and inward, at about 45 degrees is all I can get them to go in. My only return is in the center aiming slightly upward for surface movement. That way it also gives me a shimmer effect when my leds are on at night. Maybe if I put one of my Koralia 3's on each end facing inward toward each other I could get better coverage.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
*celebrate You're tank looks awesome!

Fishmonger, (Jim?) do you have any pics posted of ur tank? I can tell from the equip. that u 2 r talkin about that I'm in over my head in terms, pumps, etc.! Lol!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i did the easiest water change of my life today! it started 2 days ago when i thew 5 scoops of salt in my 32g brute container outside... than today all i had to do was open a valve and flip the switch for the pump in the brute container... wait about 5 minutes while the new water is pumped in, than close the valve back up and flip the switch back off and thats it! :p no more filling my containers at the LFS and lugging them all around town or siphoning water out of my tank and making a mess all over the kitchen floor.... i cant imagine going back to how things were before... now i have no excuses