TRe's 82g build

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
incase you dont understand how i have it set up basically i drilled a hole in my sump a little higher than the normal water level so when the water raises to that level it drains and put a shut off valve on it which stays closed all the time except when im doing my water change.... i drilled a hole in the wall the tank is on going outside to the side of my house where i keep the brute container, ATO container, r/o unit ect... i have 1 line coming in and one line going out so as i pump the new water in the old water drains out... ill take some pics of the setup when i get a chance

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well the tank is in full cruise control now with the addition of a natureef SF-2 dosing pump which im using to dose my 2 part! no more adding it manually everyday, no more forgetting days or adding it all at once! ive got it hooked up to my ACjr and im starting with the pump on for 30 mins a day ...ill see if i need more or less time on by testing cal and alk alot over the next few weeks.... only thing i have to do now is feed the fish everyday or so, empty the collection cup on my skimmer a few times a week, and flip a switch and open up a vavle to do a water change every 2-3 weeks... my corals have never looked so happy and every single coral ive thrown in the tank so far is doing GREAT! i got a bunch of deals on browned out SPS that are all coloring up nicely... my biggest suprise was a little brown stick i bought that was a "browned out acro" ended up turning purple with bright green polyps which happens to be a GARF bonsai! i also bought a browned out mille which is turning blue... so far ive got about 15 differant types of sps along with about 15 differant types of zoos/palys and its begining to fill in nicely... heres a few pics

a pic from the side view

blue/red acan and browned out mille thats turning blue

ORA purple plasma

War coral favia

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
The tank looks great and the corals look awesome. Those are some nice looking SPS frags. Are you feeding the sps corals, if so what are you using and how often?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i dont feed the corals directly but the food i feed the fish is made by the former president of the reef club im in and it contains cylopeeze along with a bunch of other good stuff so im sure the corals get a little... btw the food is called rogger's reef food (i belive he has a web site)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the tank is 3 months old so i will post some pics to keep the thread updated... im going to post pics so i can look back at the growth on certain corals.... the tank is SPS dominant with lots of zoos towards the bottom and i plan to scatter a few LPS here and there! ive got a few leathers/softies but only because i already had them in the old tank so when i start to run out of room they will be the first to go! :p

a quick run down of the current equipment:
2 X 250w MH (hamilton 14k's)
SWC msx extreme 160 skimmer
Precision Marine kalk reactor
Natureef dual trace feeder (dosing pump for 2 part)
Aqua controller Jr
autotopoffDOTcom ATO
phos reactor
auto water change
24" 4 bulb T5 over frag tank

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
RPE's

Inside out's

PE's of some sort

Nuclear green paly's

Rogger's electric blue mille (still coloring up)

Green montipora digitata

yellow/purple tip montipora spongodes (starting to grow off the plug!)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Left side (ill try to remeber to get a pic of the right side tommorow, didnt realize i didnt take one! :p )

i got this as a browned out acro for $5 was greenish brown... started from the bottom up turning purple and still has green polyps (GARF bonsai?) also notice how the polyps that encrusted the plug are starting to branch up! :D

Last edited:

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Tank, as always is looking good. You will have to take some progression shots of the corals as they grow. I always liked those type pics.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
seems like every time i turn around im adding more SPS to the tank! i added a few more pieces last night from a trade for one of the RBTA's i had from the split.... i got a purple tabling acro, a really nice blue stag and a ORA blue tip stag... im up to like 25 differant types of SPS and that number is always growing! i think im going to try and chill out on all the branching type SPS' and give these some time to grow out a bit. time to focus on chalices and acans? :p

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
How about some pics of the new corals. Chalices and Acans, I looked at some on a web site, the prices are thru the roof on some (most) of those. Do you have to feed Chalices, or do they just filter the water and get what they need that way. I don't know to much about them, but I have seen some that really look nice.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
you CAN feed them but i dont directly feed any of my corals... theres definitly some nice chalices out there and like everything else once they get a fancy name the price gets jacked way up! bubblegum monster is one of them that come to mind when i think of expensive chalices @ $200 per eye... ive only got a few right now (nothing too fancy) but ill try n get some pics up this weekend hopefully